Heat mat left on

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tielholdstock

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I unfortunately left the heat mat on under my brew. The timer has an 'on' and 'timer' setting that I didn't notice. Anyway, the new brew was bubbling away nicely but when I checked the temperature, it was 37C! DAMN.
This morning it's still bubbling this but, I read that brewing at too high a temp. wrecks things. I used Wyeast 1038 English ale yeast. It was 'on heat' for a day.

So my question is : should I just bin the brew? Do you think there is any hope?
Many thanks. From the hot seat, Tiel

Heat mat was on for around 20 hours before I discovered it was on. So from the end of the brewing process till the next day.

In that case I'd say your brew is in real trouble. The early stages are the most sensitive to temperature and 37degC is way way too high. It's likely to have a strong taste of solvents from the fusel alcohols created at the higher fermenting temp. These are also rumoured to contribute to hangovers (though hard evidence is hard to come by). In short, don't expect great things but, at the same time, don't chuck it... I could well be wrong.

Thanks Jonny,
Appreciate your reply. It seems that the brew is dead. No more fermenting action going on. Live and learn, it seems!!

It could have fermented out or you may have killed the yeast. Either is salvageable though the effects of the high early temperature might not be.

Back