Apple flavouring in cider?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyderspace

Reaction score
Hi I just started a gallon of turbocider. I stupidly used Asda 50% juice, so I put in about 300g sugar and a few spoons of honey to ensure a decent abv, plus some Splenda to stop it being too dry. I also added malic acid and tannin.

The taste is ok but not vey 'appley'. Does anybody use apple flavouring for their cider?

Any tips gratefully received.
Ta.
Andy

I use one or two packs of normal applejuice before botteling. its for priming and giving some extra flavor to the cider.

Thanks lampie. I just tested it and it tastes ok! Pretty good. First time I've used splenda maybe that's why! And the abv is 9% and still going! :)

I like really fizzy Cider so I add 3 litres of apple juice for carbing, I also boil a litre of double concentrate apple squash for 20 mins and use a litre of the apple juice to cool it before adding, I use the no added sugar squash so it adds a bit of sweetnes rather than fermenting. I am now making Cider that tastes better than commercial stuff and its only my 4th 5 gal brew, well pleased.

I like really fizzy Cider so I add 3 litres of apple juice for carbing, I also boil a litre of double concentrate apple squash for 20 mins and use a litre of the apple juice to cool it before adding, I use the no added sugar squash so it adds a bit of sweetnes rather than fermenting. I am now making Cider that tastes better than commercial stuff and its only my 4th 5 gal brew, well pleased.

Steve that is very useful thanks I'm definitely trying that! I'll look out for apple squash - where did you get it?

And steve, do you add anything else like sugar or tannin? I'd love your recipe!

I start off with 22 litres of apple juice, I add a teaspoon of citric acid, and one of pectolase, I make a strong tea (5 bags) and NO sugar, all I have read says that sugar takes away any flavour.
My yeast pot started life as a youngs super wine yeast, but as it went down I have mixed in a cider, a champagne, an ec-1888 and a nottingham yeast.... I put 2 teaspoons of yeast and 2 nutrients and let it go to finish.
Once finished I add finings and allow to clear for a couple of days, then run it through my filter. When I bottle it I add the 3 litres of apple juice and the litre of boiled squash (any supermarket, make sure its no added sugar as it will normally then have sweetners in it).
HTH.

I start off with 22 litres of apple juice, I add a teaspoon of citric acid, and one of pectolase, I make a strong tea (5 bags) and NO sugar, all I have read says that sugar takes away any flavour.
My yeast pot started life as a youngs super wine yeast, but as it went down I have mixed in a cider, a champagne, an ec-1888 and a nottingham yeast.... I put 2 teaspoons of yeast and 2 nutrients and let it go to finish.
Once finished I add finings and allow to clear for a couple of days, then run it through my filter. When I bottle it I add the 3 litres of apple juice and the litre of boiled squash (any supermarket, make sure its no added sugar as it will normally then have sweetners in it).
HTH.

Steve thannks for that. One question - why do you boil the squash?

Hi CS, You need to boil the squash for at least 15 minutes asI understand it, I giveit 20 mins. The reason is toboil off the preservativesin the squash, as far as I understand it the preservatives would kill off the yeast and so you wouldnt be able to carbonate the cider.
One thing I have found is that robinsons apple squash gives a better final taste than the supermarket own brand no added sugar squashes. Withthe robinsons batch it was good to drink after 2 weeks in the bottle, the suermarket squash has more bitterness from the "sweetners" in it.
HTH

Steve I took a chance with not boiling the squash and it carbonised ok. I maybe used too much so its a bit strong, so I add a little water. But trial and error eh?!

Blimey that was lucky, at least you know now though. I use a 1L bottle as I make up 25L at a time, I have just made 2 lotsso I have 50 litres clearing at the moment...

Latest posts

Back