Porter ain't dark....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFewTooMany

Reaction score
Hi, bottled a John Bull porter kit 3 weeks ago and had a try of a bottle to see how it was doing and it looks like a golden ale. I short brewed it to 19 litres with 1kg glucose sugar so not really sure what I've done. Any ideas?

jyzydu4a.jpg

Blimey! My guess is wrongly labelled can! What's it taste like?!

Are you sure you didn't forget to put the tin of malt extract in ? :lol: Wow that is not even in the ball park. As above, wrongly labelled tin seems like the most logical answer, get yourself a refund.

Cheers forquick replies. Tin of extract definitely went in. Didn't even consider there could be a mix up with tins, will be marching irately to my lhbs

It was either wrongly labelled or there was s manufacturing problem. Take a bottle with you, and a glass, and pour it out in the shop! :-)

Not the shop's fault, obviously. Maybe call the manufacturer, you may get more sent your way if you do that, by way of an apology.

on this topic, me and a mate asked for a porter in whetherspoons a couple of months back - when it arrived, it was similar to this golden ale. we told the woman on the till it was wrong, at which point the manager tried to argue that she had just swapped the barrel herself and it was definitely right! we got straight onto the Burtonwood Brewery website and showed her the exact description of their "dark" ale... hahaha. just goes to prove that they have no idea what they are selling (or how to describe types of ale properly!)

Well after going to lhbs with a bottle of the 'porter' I got a call this morning. Seems there was a whole batch of John Bull bitter which was labelled as Porter. Only they didn't tell the shop when they realised. Talk about professional. Going to get a replacement so can't really complain, although bitter isn't really my cup of tea. Ah well first world problems

Free Beer is the best beer ... enjoy your free bitter.

I ordered 25kg of malt off a site a couple of months back, my account hasn't been charged yet ... my fingers are SERIOUSLY crossed

:hat:

Latest posts

Back