Primary/secondary fermentation ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyPage

Reaction score
This website: http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-stuck-5
seems to suggest allowing air to get to the yeast for the first part of the fermentation.

Anyone else heard of this ?

Top 10 Reasons For Fermentation Failure
By Ed Kraus

Reason #5
Using An Wine Airlock At The Beginning Of Fermentation:

During the first few days of a fermentation, the wine yeast is in a multiplying stage. It is devoting a significant portion of its energy to reproducing itself. On average, the wine yeast will multiply itself to around 100 to 200 times the amount of wine yeast you originally put in the must.

Shop Primary FermentersThis is known as the "Primary Fermentation." Later, once the yeast has fully created the number of cells needed, it will then devote most all of its energy to creating alcohol. This is known as the "Secondary Fermentation."

The cell reproduction stage is necessary to successfully sustain a healthy, vigorous fermentation. If the wine yeast does not multiply successfully then the remainder of the fermentation will become sluggish and drawn out, and in many cases the wine yeast will give out completely before it has completed the task placed before it.

For the wine yeast to be able to multiply itself to it fullest ability, it needs air during the primary fermentation. Using a Wine Airlock during this time seals the fermentation from much need air, in effect, suffocating the wine yeast and putting a damper on its reproductive activity.

Instead of using an Wine Airlock during the Primary Fermentation, simply cover the container with a thin towel, cheese cloth or something similar. You can secure it by tying it down with a string to make sure it doesn't get knocked or blown off. By doing this you will allow the wine yeast to get all the air it needs without allowing bugs and other little nasties from getting in the mix.

After about 4 to 6 days of fermentation the wine yeast will go into its slower, secondary fermentation. This is the time when the wine airlock should be used. The air is no longer needed, and in fact, is a detriment to the must at that point.

Hi,

Country wine recipies I've tried have suggested covering the must with a cloth to allow it to breathe but prevent dirt, bacteria etc getting into it.

I have a fermenter full of Gorse Champagne atm, and whilst its got a lid and an airlock its only about 1/3rd full (its a 23ltr beer fermenter) so chances are there was lots of air in there to begin with.

Trouble is, CO2 is heavier than oxygen, so even covered loosely with a cloth i imagine the amount of air reaching the yeast would be fairly low anyway. Speculation though.

From beers point of view, airating the wort before pitching yeast is recommended in many books (John Palmers "How to brew" and Graham Wheelers "Brew your own british ale" to name two) as it gives the yeast a good start. Sounds like a similar thing for wine.

From my gorse champagne's point of view ill be transferring it to demijohns with airlocks for a bit when the activity settles down to hopefully help reduce the sediment (though i use the fermentation to prime the bottles so can't remove it completely).

Yeast activity is pretty heavy on the science. I have a few beer books and each goes slightly more into it. Still trying to penetrate science to help me brew better, but there are PHDs in yeast - might be a lifes work!

Latest posts

Back