Brewed up a batch of wheat beer last night

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheshirehomebrew

Regular.
Reaction score
and as have never done a wheat beer have no idea what it will taste like.

ended up with 6 gallons of it in my fermenter and a demijohn, used wheat i got from my local homebrew shop, some cracked malted barley (which has made it a dark ale not a hoegarden clone), southern cross hops, orange zest, spray dried wheat, liquid wheat extract and munich wheat beer yeast.

So its currently fermenting at home, measured the wort on the hydrometer came out at 1040.

I plan on bottling not kegging it. Is there any need to secondary ferment in the bottle, pros and cons either way ??

Your brew should only take about 10 days or so to ferment out though the gravity may be higher due to the DME, I would then batch prime and bottle using the below guide

http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

I have never secondary fermented in a bottle so can't help sounds a bit dangerous to me and I don't know of any wheat beers that are secondary fermented in the bottle.

Thanks Rivvo, I have secondary fermented the blonde beer i did and the IPA which is currently maturing the the cellar and have no issues so far.

I may do that with say 5 bottles and label them accordingly, I can compare them with ones that were just bottled to see what difference it makes (if any).

I checked this morning and fermenting seems to have stopped already, thats only a few days so I think something is amiss. I thought it was as a result of scraping all the gungy foam of the top in the FV but the demijohn has stopped too and i havent touched that.

Do I need more sugar or maybe more yeast, or just rack it off and leave it for a few days?

No don't add anything, check the reading with a hydrometer, it is normal for the fermentation to die down a bit after a few days, I brewed a wheat last Thursday and it was still bubbling yesterday but has now stopped, it will still be fermenting but less vigorously. No need to rack it off according to current expert thinking (contrary to what I thought)
By secondary fermentation did you actually add fresh yeast prior to bottling?

quick update, fermenting has finished and am currently dry hopping this with my leftover amarillo hops.

Am not sure how the end product will taste and wont know for about 8 weeks or more; but it smells very nice already :-D

Jeff I wrote everything down and its at home, I will type it out tomorrow if thats any use to you, and any feedback would be appreciated, as I havent had the chance to open a bottle yet, so have no idea on the taste of this yet

Well I opened the beer last night, has been bottle conditioned for about 8 weeks now and to say I am chuffed to bits with it is an understatement.

Jeff I will try and write out my recipe and methodoligy as soon as possible for you

Latest posts

Back