Simcoe & Citra AIPA PLEASE HELP

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minesa1664

Reaction score
Hello Team

im brewing for the national home brew champs in September and im going to enter an AIPA. my recipe is so far this but please can you all help with any suggestions

thanks

Batch size 23l
boil 60 mins
Single step Mash

Maris Otter - 5.5kg
Crystal Standard 250g

Hops
60 mins - Simcoe 25g 29IBU
30 mins - CITRA 15g 13.6IBU
15 mins - Simcoe 15g 9.5IBU
15 mins - CITRA 10g 5.9IBU
Hop Rocket 15g of both CITRA & SIMCOE
Dry HOP for a week in Keg after ferment.

Ferment for 10 day (ish) with DANSTAR - BRY 97 West coast Ale

target ABV 5.6. (data from Beersmith)

I have a shed (or draw in shed!) of other hops inc lots of American hops so please feel free to suggest changes.

Cheers

Will :drink:

I like a bit of crystal in my IPAs, I usually add a bit of munich, vienna or wheat (about 5-10%) to give head retention/body and then half as much crystal too to give it a little sweetness.

If I was you, I'd be tempted to reduce the 60 minute addition and increase the 15 minute additions (or add a 5 minute addition) to get more aroma out of those lovely hops. Just my opinion though, looks like it'll be a tasty brew regardless.

I took the advice and it's fermenting away nicely! Updates on exact recipe and out come to follow also follow it on Twitter @wtmillard

Where are the home brew champs held?

I agree with a lil bit of crystal for that malty background, hops are good sounds like a nice brew, I love galaxy hops for dry hopping though, such a distinctive aroma!

Have you thought about using some flaked corn to increase the body?
It's quite a common feature of APAs

How did the entry go? I had a look at the results and the pale ale categories seemed very competitive with a lot of entries.

Latest posts

Back