Hobgoblin bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning all,
Ive been given some Hobgoblin bottles but my very old, two handled mechanical crown capper won't work on these bottles, the caps slip sideways. Its ok on all my other bottles. I have a basic crown capper, the hammer type, but have had a few mishaps in the past.

Questions:
Anyone had this problem?
If anyone has been successful capping these bottles, what capper did you use?

:hmm:

Bin fodder! the shape of the top makes them almost impossible to cap, I use a youngs twin handled capper. Go to your local and raid the bottle bins, the cider ones are always good and the old speckled hen.

yes Newcastle brown good too, forgot about those. just need to keep them in a dark place if clear bottles.

My old capper worked on them until it gave up the ghost but my new one won't so I've had to chuck mine. Every capper seems to have a few sorts of bottles it hates. I couldn't use Fullers or Badger ones either but my mate can and he has a different capper.

invest in a bench capper, they are a bit more expensive (£30ish) but they are great & cap hob gobblers & any other bottle. i bought one & i've never had a bottle fail to cap.

i use silicone baking sheet to help with the wytchwood bottles and my red placky 2 lever capper, a strip of silicone baking sheet circa 1.5cm x 10cm wrapped round taught just under the neck bulge allows the capper lever jaws to grip and cap the bottles, and when u have done it once or twice its no hassle to quickly pull the strip from a sanitiser bath and wrap round the neck of the odd bottle, i wouldnt fancy doing a whole batch tho..

+1 for the bench capper. I put off getting one for ages, then when I got one, I wished I'd got it years ago... so much easier, especially with wychwood ones!

I seem to have no problem whith these bottles.
I just use a hand capper & a rubber mallet. (great bottles btw) :-)

Latest posts

Back