Home brew has yeasty taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russginge69

Reaction score
Hello

I am sure this question crops up alot! I am new to homebrewing.My first kit was Coopers Mexican Lager as it was recommended as an easy kit for beginners. Following the instructions carefully my first brew looked fantastic - perfectly clear and a great head. Taking my first greatly anticipated sip I was really disappointed as all I could taste was yeast! I brewed a second kit - Coopers European lager and exactly the same. My third attempt was Coopers English bitter and again a yeasty finish. I am currently brewing a Festival Premium Ale Landlord Ale and I hope it is better. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I am following the instructions to the letter and am just hoping one day for a really good brew! Thanks in advance.

Go to the how to section and find the thread on hire not to screw your first brew up. I think it's a sticky, read that then throw away the instructions. Kit instructions are wildly optimistic with their times.

Agreed

I've never done a kit that hasn't been in the primary FV for less than 2 weeks.

I'm presuming the festival kit comes with hop pellets, these should ideally go in after 1 week, left another week and then siphoned to a secondary for another week.

I can pretty much guarantee no yeasty aftertaste :)

Go to the how to section and find the thread on hire not to screw your first brew up. I think it's a sticky, read that then throw away the instructions. Kit instructions are wildly optimistic with their times.

Thanks for the reply. I will check it out. I have heard good stories of the Landlord so fingers crossed!

Agreed

I've never done a kit that hasn't been in the primary FV for less than 2 weeks.

I'm presuming the festival kit comes with hop pellets, these should ideally go in after 1 week, left another week and then siphoned to a secondary for another week.

I can pretty much guarantee no yeasty aftertaste :)

Thanks for the reply. I am trying a second FV before bottling and hope that makes a difference. Looking forward to the festival kit :)

I have found the thread and read lots of great comments regarding this how to guide. Trouble is I don't know how to find the guide itself? Sorry I am completely new to all this and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do a Google search for the thread title, you may find a cached version, or look for it on The Brewing Forum.

Thanks for the advice. I had read somewhere that leaving it for too long sat on top of the yeast may impare the flavour so I must have panicked !! I am going to try a second FV this time and have everything crossed. I will leave it for longer also and let you know if this helps.

I know its hard but once it's bottled give it at least another 4-6 weeks maturing before drinking. You won't believe the difference.
I brew ag and drinking that to young also has a yeasty taste. But give it a few weeks to mature and it's a totally different beer.:thumb:

I've got a wilkos pilsner that also tastes yeasty. Lager just is so much harder to hide off flavours. A corny and bags of gas can help just like the pub else it's wait and see what happens.

I know its hard but once it's bottled give it at least another 4-6 weeks maturing before drinking. You won't believe the difference.
I brew ag and drinking that to young also has a yeasty taste. But give it a few weeks to mature and it's a totally different beer.:thumb:

Thanks for the advice - I will try and hold off.

I wil lsay that the Landlord I am brewing at the moment had it's first taste when I took a hydrometer reading after nearly two weeks in the FV and it alreadt tastes heaps better. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice

Thank you all for your replies. Having read your advice and others there is a common problem and that's my patience! I have trawled throught the 'OMG I don't want to screw up my first home brew' and it was a brilliant read and really helpful. Thanks again from a noobie for all your replies. It would seem I am not doing too much wrong and just a bit impatient :D

Thanks for the advice - I will try and hold off.

I will say that the Landlord I am brewing at the moment had it's first taste when I took a hydrometer reading after nearly two weeks in the FV and it already tastes heaps better. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice

I just tried my Festival Landlord. I left it in the FV for two weeks before adding the hops and then left it for a further two weeks (the instructions say one!) and got a final gravity of 1008. I primed it in a SFV and bottled immediately then stored it at room temperature for a further four weeks before putting it in my shed for a further week. I just wanted to thank you for all your advice. This kit is brilliant and now I know to be patient this is by far the best brew I have done. Gonna try their Summer Stag next. This brew is as good if not better than any pub bought pint. Very clear, good head all the way down the glass and massive 'hoopy' finish. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back