Wilko

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WER

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just popped into Wilko at lunchtime to pick up some bits and bobs and noticed that the shelves were decidedly sparse. Had a quick look at the website and they definitely seem to be reducing their range - especially the wine kits.

Anyone know whether this is a temporary thing (clearing out old stock) or are they planning to give up on the home brew thing altogether?

Cheers,

WER

Good question - the last Homebrew sale at Wilko ended some months back and the kits that were on offer at 25% off all seemed to have 2 years future dates on them. When you look at the space in a Wilko store occupied by the homebrew offer, it's possible that delisting the lot could be a plan, but at the end of the brainstorming of the brilliant, WTAF could they put in the same space that would do them any better? The stores basically look like they were styled by a committee rostered in the local lunatic asylum. Bit of this, bit of that, picture of Cheryl, pick up yer pile creams, and some garden furniture under yer bingo wing arms from the middle of the Manc Arndale....

Sorry guys, bit of an off topic rant.

I noticed the same thing, but I assume it's seasonal. Lots of BBQs and Gardening equipment to squeeze in over summer, and prob a lull in homebrew due to the temperature.

A few months ago they had homebrew on the 'prime' end of isle section in my local Wilkos, so it seems that they are still committed to it.

I suspect a bigger problem will be that they seem to have decided to push their own-brand kits more, so we may get a smaller range of kits for that reason.

Last year they replaced all of their Youngs chemicals with their own, which are no where near as good,
Finings for example, Youngs clear in about 24 hours, Wilkos about a week.

Yeast is loads more expensive. £1 for a 5g sache , compared with £1.50 for 100g tub

New store in Rotherham as a 3 meter display, good range of there own and coopers kits and also milestone 2 can kits

I noticed the same thing, but I assume it's seasonal. Lots of BBQs and Gardening equipment to squeeze in over summer, and prob a lull in homebrew due to the temperature.

A few months ago they had homebrew on the 'prime' end of isle section in my local Wilkos, so it seems that they are still committed to it.

I suspect a bigger problem will be that they seem to have decided to push their own-brand kits more, so we may get a smaller range of kits for that reason.

To be fair, Chris, in the UK you basically get Coopers kits from the other side of the world, or UK kits made by Muntons - they do Wilko, Milestone, Geordie etc etc. The offer they will display going forward, will be driven by their clever merchandisers and the discussions thay have with the UK supplier and the fact that the Coopers Kits are just actually slightly better.

Back