my first WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguinarmy

Reaction score
Started my first wow last night. following the guide - used RGJ as couldnt find WGJ theirs already alot of sediment in the bottom but not alot of bubble action? the sediment is doing the 'lava lamp' . going to follow the guide and see how it turns out .

2014-07-13 10.25.11.jpg

2014-07-13 10.25.42.jpg

2014-07-13 10.25.52.jpg

I don't normally see that much sugar sat at the bottom that's why i asked if you boiled it, i would take the top off cover the neck with a washed hand and give it a good shake, if it settles again do the same tomorrow, the wine will be fine as there is a layer of CO2 protecting it.

I cannot see the top of the FV so don't know if there is a grommet in the lid, if you drilled it with a 9mm drill and inserted the airlock without a grommet you may have a small leak and that is why you are not seeing many bubbles, it will improve after a few hours once shaken.

thank you, ill do that now and keep you updated, i got the PET DJ from a home brew shop and have used it before.

thanks for the advice

ive shook up the bottle yesterday and today as advised and its still only bubbling once every 30sec or so. there is still sediment at the top and bottom like the pics above, any advice on how to get it started or is it ok?

thanks

Just to let you know i was posting as Billy_no_mates as i was banned under this name.

You said -

"Started my first wow last night following the guide - used RGJ as couldn't find WGJ theirs already a lot of sediment in the bottom but not a lot of bubble action"

What juices did you use?

Does the plastic DJ have a grommet in the top or is it just a hole in the lid?

Do you know the temperature the juice was at when you pitched the yeast?

I would not worry too much, you have shaken it so it may take a day or so for it to get going.

ahhh ok no worries.

What juices did you use?

Tropicana RGJ 1ltr
lidl OJ 1ltr
Does the plastic DJ have a grommet in the top or is it just a hole in the lid

- grommet and airlock... seams to be ok ive used it before np

Do you know the temperature the juice was at when you pitched the yeast?- no

I would not worry too much, you have shaken it so it may take a day or so for it to get going....

ok thank you ill post again in a few days with an update.

I've stopped dissolving the sugar first unless I'm in a rush to get it going, I generally just add a tablespoon or so of golden syrup dissolved in the tea and it gives it a kick start

What temperature do you pitch the yeast at ?

It's all just room temperature apart from the tea. Doesn't seem to hinder or hold back fermentation too much. I just try to do things as simple as possible, I never use the thermometer or hydrometer however I do keep notes on the combinations etc so I can replicate the good ones!

my first wow is bubbling at 40 sec intervals (been fermenting since 2nd july) so going to wait until its at 1 min then wait a week after until racking.

my 2nd is going like a horse had to change the airlock this morn.

2014-07-21 10.28.12.jpg

I only fill to the beginning of the shoulder as i have had that happen, i now top up to the neck when i have degassed and stabilised.

the 2nd batch is still bubbling away the first has slowed down to one bubble every min and half so ive topped it up with cool boiled water and will do the same again tmoz. then wait a week until it looks like its beginning to clear before racking it

2014-07-23 15.13.12.jpg

I find it best to leave topping up until you have degassed if you use a drill and wand it comes out of the top iwhen topped up, if you use the shake it method its easier with more head space.

Back