Coffee Beer? Recipe ideas...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rompy

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm keen to make a coffee flavoured beer - but wondering if it were possible to make something on the lighter side? Research so far has lead me mostly to Stouts and porter style beers (Darkstar's Espresso etc) but fancied trying something a little different.

Anyone have any ideas?

I currently work in a coffeeshop with a wholesale outlet so able to get large quantities of fresh, good quality coffeebeans. Thought I might as well put it to good use!

I made a coffee stout. It's so simple, cold brew your coffee, so steep beans in cold water overnight and add that to the water when making the brew. It was incredible, one of the best stout I have tasted.

Maybe I should just stick with doing a stout then? It does sounds really good..

Also love cold-brew coffee as it is, must give it a try with my next brew!

I made a coffee stout. It's so simple, cold brew your coffee, so steep beans in cold water overnight and add that to the water when making the brew. It was incredible, one of the best stout I have tasted.

Sounds interesting - can you give an indication of how how much coffee you used please?

Might have to try a Coopers Stout with this addition...

FatCol

Could work well with Coopers kit, let me know how it goes if you end up doing it.

Looking through recipes now, could coffee in the brew work with a brown ale perhaps?

I used half a pack of French roast which was quite a strong brew. 250g of coffee ground in mine, was really good.

Not sure about coffee in ale. Sure only one way to find out :) I believe the beers shelf life is a lot longer with cold brew coffee over normal hot coffee

I'm going to try and make a English Mild/Brown Ale with a bit of coldbrew coffee thrown in for good measure, will let you know how it goes.

I am planning on a coffee porter shortly. Muntons Docklands Porter kit with 200g of Kenco ground coffee (left for 24 hours to cool) added after fermentation has finished. Brewing the kit to 20L but not yet sure whether to brew the coffee in a single litre of water or go for 3 litres. I don't want the coffee taste to be overpowering though.

I suppose it shouldn't make a difference as the coffee will be diluted into the 20l either way

Latest posts

Back