My STC-1000 kegerator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just

Reaction score
Hi All, first post so thought I'd try to make it a good un'! I thought it would be worth a fresh STC-1000 fermentation fridge thread as links and products disappear, this list is all current as of July '14.

I've not been home brewing long and while I've not got the time/funds/space for full grain I do want to get the best from 2-can and extract brews. So, I decided a fermentation fridge was a crucial bit of kit to manage temperatures in the garage which can occasionally get too warm and very often get too cold. Plus as I bottle it's useful to manage the temp' of those accurately too.

First off the kit list;

Fridge - Electrolux's finest no icebox and everything apart from the egg shelf at the top is removable - £20 gumtree
Heater - <a HREF=http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Heating/Electric+Heaters+Dryers/Tubular+Heater+60W+55+x+305mm/d230/sd3168/p32265>60w tubular heater from Toolstation or Screwfix - &pound;16</a>
STC-1000 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B009HKYZBY/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1
- &pound;14.50
Project box - took some finding but CPC were the cheapest in the end, enough room for the STC-1000 and two sockets - http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=EN83303
Good box and waterproof if needed - &pound;9
Two power sockets - also CPC - http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=PL12840
Simple and cheap - &pound;2.50
Dual socket back box - cheapest going from toolstation - http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/Boxes+Pattresses/Dry+Lining+Box+Dual/d190/sd2634/p41731
- &pound;1
A few metres of 1.5mm flex - had a reel so no cost but cheap enough

First task was to cut two holes out of the front of the project box. I marked the outline of the STC-1000 and dual-box on the inside of the box lid. I then used my draper 'dremmel' tool with a thin sidecutting drill bit to do the rest. I opted to use a back box for the sockets as I think it's safer, easier and neater.

IMG_0868_zps76319fca.jpg

Next, I put the dual drylining back box in and moved the lugs forward to hold it. I found the lid of the box two thin for the lugs to hold firm, so cut a couple of strips of the bit I'd just cut out to make some 'shims' that I glued to each side of the big hole so the lugs could make a firm contact as the sockets are screwed in (imagine a pasterboard wall is 7-12mm thick whereas the lid on the project box is 3-4.

IMG_0869_zpsada22b88.jpg

Then I dropped the STC-1000 in (remembering to remove the terminal cover and orange lugs first!) and secured it.

IMG_0870_zps2407dbff.jpg

I also put two holes in the bottom of the box, one small one for the temp sensor wires and a larger one ready for the cable gland to take the incomer power lead (the gland came with the heater). I also put a hole through the back ready to hang in the garage.

IMG_0871_zps68f76f9f.jpg

With the cutting and drilling done I moved inside to install the sockets.

IMG_0873_zps5a34f5b6.jpg

I started the wiring by putting a couple of tails on the sockets with all three terminals wired up on each.

IMG_0874_zpseb72431b.jpg

Then the main wiring. I ran a length of flex with a plug on it into the box as the incomer and then I used three connector blocks all rated at 13amp or more. One connecting the earths together, one the neutrals together with a tail coming out into the STC-1000 and finally the lives into the third connector with a tail to the STC-1000 power and two more to each of the 'switching' terminals (see below for full STC-1000 wiring run down). I also put the sensor through the small hole and wired that in too.

IMG_0883_zps59ff1e15.jpg

With the wiring done and the sockets in, I marked the heat one so I can tell them apart on install.

IMG_0885_zps5b0bc8df.jpg

I put the cable from the heater through the drain plughole of the fridge (having made that a bit bigger with a drill bit). I then plugged the heater and fridge in and powered up.

IMG_0890_zps13e10b7e.jpg

Fridge inside, I've left the shelves in for now as I have some Wherry due to be cleared/conditioned over the next few weeks. I also have a wood shelf to go in the bottom with a gap for the heat to come up. I've also got a support to put in the middle to take the weight of the FV when full. I will use a small bit of polystyrene and a bungee cord to hold the sensor onto the FV. When the bottles are in I will just tape it on the side so it hangs in the air inside.

IMG_0892_zpse8fed251.jpg

STC-1000 wiring

This unit can switch both heaters and fridges/freezers up to 10amps.
It is essentially two computer controlled switches so you feed power into them and get switched power out. Neutral and Earth wiring (apart from the one neutral into the unit) bypass it.

You put a constant or incoming live on the first terminal, incoming neutral on the second. The temp sensor on the third and fourth. The fifth terminal is then another constant live (joined off the incoming power) and the sixth is the live out to the cool socket. The seventh terminal is also a constant live. The eighth terminal is the live out to the heat socket.

To summarise the wiring;

You should have three earths (incomer and two sockets). Join them all together.

You should have four neutrals (incomer, two sockets and STC-1000 terminal 2). Join them all together.

You should have four constant lives (incomer, terminal 1, terminal 5 and terminal 7). Join them all together.

You then have two switch lives (terminal 6 and 8) take these one to each socket.

You can find instructions on the STC-1000 on a leaflet that came with it, just alter each of the four settings by pressing and holding the S button and the arrow keys. I set mine to have a compressor wait time of 7 and variance on temp of 0.5

Hope that helps/inspires and the current links help. Total cost of this project was around &pound;65 and means my FV and bottles can now be at just the right temp' throughout.

Last edited:
"I thought it would be worth a fresh STC-1000 kegerator thread as links and products disappear,"

Very observant for a new member! Welcome.

And just to let you know, that is not a kegerator. Kegerators hold a keg and have dispensing taps on, that fridge is too small to hold a keg. It is however a cracking guide on how to build a fermentation fridge :)

"I thought it would be worth a fresh STC-1000 kegerator thread as links and products disappear,"

Very observant for a new member! Welcome.

And just to let you know, that is not a kegerator. Kegerators hold a keg and have dispensing taps on, that fridge is too small to hold a keg. It is however a cracking guide on how to build a fermentation fridge :)

Hi Spook thanks, will alter heading got carried away there then!! Yes it came from searching for the project box and not finding several linked to in other posts as the suppliers had stopped selling them etc.

So, I haven't even started brewing yet (kit on the way) but I already think I need a heated fridge in the shed. Is there a cheaper way to manage temps? I saw these on Amazon and wondered if any good? They seem cheap (<£10) but looking at reviews, they have been used for brewing effectively

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BVYCZ84/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops got my threads mixed up. That temp controller is the same thing I was looking at.....duh :)

great post, Just, this was really helpful.

To bring up to date, and cause I ordered everything from CPC, I ordered:

Junction Box - https://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=EN83303
2 sockets - https://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=PL12753
dry lining box - https://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=PL11779
terminal block - https://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=CB13163
Order Total: £15.64

Then an STC-1000 from Amazon - £10.99

All setup now and working a treat:

temp%20controller.jpg

I don't have a fridge yet, so only have the "heat" plug in use at the moment. But this should work much better than my use of a timer switch to turn the heat on and off every couple of hours. Thanks!

thats a cracking job well done.. i would consider a couple of tweaks though.

Firstly loose the glass shelf over the heater and replace it with sometihng vented to allow the hot air to move freely through, though you have probably got that sorted already ;)

Secondly i would consider adding a small fan to move both the hot when heating or cold when chilling air around inside the fridge when running. its the air thats transferring the heat/cold from the heater and fridge cold radiator so the more it moves about the more effective it will be.. a simple 12v pc fan works well, i bet u could fit an old power brick between 5-12v inside your box and feed a bell wire flex in along with the temp probe to power a fan ;)
just dont epoxy the fan in place, :doh:i did with my #1 :doh: seemed like a good idea, but the pc fan will probably die after a couple of years running 24/7

You're welcome, thanks for the thanks!! Also thanks for the CPC links as it will probably be easier to get everything at once, not sure I could at the time...

The glass shelf is only used when cooling, I have a drilled wooden piece that goes in for fermenting. I haven't found a need for a fan as the heating comes on gently and frequently so the heat just builds up and stays put nicely, but yes it's a good idea. I'd probably look at an inline 12v transformer (from CPC probably) fixed inside the box and wired into the heat socket wiring with CAT-5/6 coming out for a feed into the fan.

I'd love to have the ability to put something like this together but alas I'll have to make do with an aquarium heater in a trug.

Ability wise, other than sticking it in a box, which you can do any which way you like, it's just screwing wires into chocolate blocks.

Does the STC not need to be wired in to the mains or is there another plug coming from it which I haven't noticed in the pictures?

It does, but it's just screw posts on the back of it, same as on a chocolate block - it's all solder free, all you need is some flex, a screwdriver and a chocolate block and you're all set.

It does, but it's just screw posts on the back of it, same as on a chocolate block - it's all solder free, all you need is some flex, a screwdriver and a chocolate block and you're all set.

Hmmmmm, the idea of tampering with electricity fills me with dread to be honest. That said, I want a conical fermenter which obviously wouldn't work with the trug/heater setup so I'd need to do something like this. I'd probably rope in someone more comfortable with this kind of thing to help me out. :lol:

Fair enough :) If you can wire a plug though (with instructions on what wire goes where) you can setup an STC-1000 :)

Could this be used to convert a chest freezer to a fridge?

Not an expert in this stuff, but would think so! If you set the desired temperature to 3 degrees (for example), and connect the freezer to the cooling connectors, that should just bring the freezer on whenever the temperature gets a certain amount above 3 degrees. It'll switch off again when the temperature falls to a certain amount below 3 degrees. The "certain amount" is called the differential, and you choose this when you choose the desired temperature. So 3 degrees with a differential of 1 degree means the freezer will come on whenever the temperature rises to 4 degrees, and switches off either when it gets back down to... either 3 degrees or 2 degrees - not 100% sure about that last point! Probably not crucial, but would be interested to know if anybody can confirm :thumb:

I'm just thinking way down the line of having a few corny stood in a chest freezer and taps on so could have a few beers chilled in a keg. Seen things online like that. But just wondered if it could be achieved with what seems like quite ease just using the STC.

Latest posts

Back