coopers carbonation drops for 500ml

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJT

Reaction score
Sorry as I think this has been asked 100's of times but I can't see a definitive answer, although I appreciate its personal choice.

How many drops do you recommend to use for a 500ml bottle. I am not sure I have the patience to cut them in half and do 1.5 per bottle, but if that is what is required I will.

Has anyone used 2 drops per 500ml and do you recommend it?

Cheers

Hi AJT,

I think 1.5 would be needed for 500ml.

I would recommend batch priming to prevent you having to cut them in half though, as that would just be a pain.

I think it's 1 drop per 330ml, so just calculate how many you'd need for how many litres you have and chuck em in.

Thanks for the quick response. This is my first brew so not 100% sure on batch priming. I assume I need to transfer to a secondary bucket and add sugar? At what stage do I then bottle?

Cheers

Hi AJT,

I haven't done a prime batch yet, like yourself am using carbonation drops and while a single drop in a 500ml bottle seems to be just about enough, I would prefer a bit more of a louder pfzzzz when I open my bottles. There's no way I would even contemplate trying to cut a carb drop in half for 2 reasons, a) they would probably fly in bits everywhere and b) my patience wouldn't hold out :-D
With prime batching I think it is around 1 teaspoon of sugar per 500ml bottle for lagers and possibly half a teaspoon for ales but I am certainly no expert on batch priming and maybe someone with more experience on this topic will give more solid advice.

Yes, add to a secondary.

If you plan to bottle condition or keg, you need to adjust accordingly.

For kegging, add the necessary sugar/drops to the keg and siphon the fermented beer into it and stir to mix, then seal and leave to condition.

If bottle conditioning, you can do it a few ways, there are some good guides on here to help you.

I've done siphoning directly to bottles and it's quite messy, so I would recommend siphoning into a secondary vessel, preferably with a tap, that has been primed and then into bottles.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I have added 2 drops per bottle. No prob befor I seen the light and stopped buying those pesky things.
Do yourself a massive favour and just batch prime,works every time.
6g per litre for ales and 8g per litres for lagers,simply dump it in then 10mins later bottle.
Cheers

Thanks for the info everyone.

Pms67, do you stir the secondary once you have added the sugar?

I am thinking of using 1 carb drop (they came in the kit so want to use then up) and manual add a bit more sugar to make it around 1.5 carb drops. I will then manual add sugar or do bulk priming.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Pms67, do you stir the secondary once you have added the sugar?

I am thinking of using 1 carb drop (they came in the kit so want to use then up) and manual add a bit more sugar to make it around 1.5 carb drops. I will then manual add sugar or do bulk priming.

I used to but don't bother now and don't notice any difference mate.
I used all my carb drops up by weighing them and adding the rest of dextrose to a boiling pan of water before batch priming, honestly, if I had to bottle prime I would give it up.
Cheers

Here's a different take. Tried batch priming - can't be bothered sterilising and rinsing another vessel!

One Coopers carbonation drop is fine for the darker ales/stouts in my experience. Lighter ales, I like to add one drop then use the little end of a kiddies medicine spoon with a level dose of granular sugar. They are really narrow so it all goes in the neck of the bottle and it adds just enough extra sugar to give lighter ales that extra bit of fizz.

I have also use granular sugar and a sawn off kiddies medicine syringe - you can change the plunger to change your sugar amount and they fit in the neck of the bottle easily so no spillings!!!

Latest posts

Back