Prohibition kits Sloe Gin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguinarmy

Reaction score
Im thinking of doing a sloe gin Prohibition kit... has anyone done one and is it worth it?

the 'starter kit' contains a 1 x 5 Litre Fermenting Bin and Lid could i use a DJ instead and then rack into another DJ as required or do i need the Bin?

thank you

Im thinking of doing a sloe gin Prohibition kit... has anyone done one and is it worth it?

the 'starter kit' contains a 1 x 5 Litre Fermenting Bin and Lid could i use a DJ instead and then rack into another DJ as required or do i need the Bin?

thank you

I've currently got one of their Peach Schnapps kits on the go, and it's in a DJ. The only thing that they quite rightly mention about using a glass DJ is when you boil your water and dissolve your sugar, that it needs to call sufficiently before it goes in to the DJ - glass and boiling liquids don't mix terribly well! The only other thing is that they say not to shake a glass container under pressure. This is only when adding the charcoal at the end to clear it, so it's just a case of being careful.

..and the benefit of using a glass DJ is that you can see more easily when it's starting to clear :)

Hope this helps.

I've currently got one of their Peach Schnapps kits on the go, and it's in a DJ. The only thing that they quite rightly mention about using a glass DJ is when you boil your water and dissolve your sugar, that it needs to call sufficiently before it goes in to the DJ - glass and boiling liquids don't mix terribly well! The only other thing is that they say not to shake a glass container under pressure. This is only when adding the charcoal at the end to clear it, so it's just a case of being careful.

..and the benefit of using a glass DJ is that you can see more easily when it's starting to clear :)

Hope this helps.
Tried a sloe gin kit last year - and then made 2 Ltr of "real" sloe gin. tried out both over Xmas by giving sample glass of both to all family. EVERYONE preferred the kit version. smoother, better flavour etc.
and I pierced my hands when I collected the damn sloes too!

Kits for me in future.

Latest posts

Back