Swamp cooler/ ice bath

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cainehulse

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has used this method to keep fermenting temps down during the summer I'm thinking of trying it with a coopers euro lager and sitting my fv in a bucket of cold water with bottles of ice to keep it cool and a wet shirt wrapped around the fv and if required use a fan as the average temp in my house is about 25c which is stopping be from brewing it's been ok doing a vimto wine but not a chance with an ale or lager just want to see what peoples opinions are I haven't got enough room at the moment for a chest freezer until I build my shed cheers in advance

I've brewed like that for the past 3 years or so, though we moved and I lost my beer room and so SWMBO bought me a chest freezer and STC-1000 to compromise (she gets the only spare room now).

If the kit you mentioned is a true lager using lager yeast I don't think you can get and keep it cold enough. You can make ales though, and you can certainly make Belgian types that don't mind it hot.

I used a large plastic storage bin (more water makes for greater thermal mass which fluctuates less) and figured just how much water I could use when frozen water bottles were applied. The more the better.

You'll need plenty of space in your freezer for plastic bottles filled (most of the way) with water. For me I needed 3-4 2 liter bottles and plenty of ~1 liter bottles. These had to be changed out 3 times a day, and the freezer had a hard time keeping up, which is why I'd suggest a 4th large bottle.

Always keep an eye on the beer temp as once it gets a little warm it takes quite a bit to cool it back down, which can leave you with partially frozen water bottles for next time.

I'm interested in this option too. I've just done an AG brew, and it's gone from SG of 1.050 down to 1.011 in 4 days! If it doesn't cool down soon, I'll have to buy beer from a shop, premade!!!! ;-)

No room for a fridge here unfortunately.

Back