Cloudy & Flat IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMad

Reaction score
Hi All
I have just finished second fermentation and put the keg (Youngs Pressure Barrel) into the fridge. It's not been in there for even an hour yet but I tried it and it's cloudy and not much fizz. Will this change when it get chilled or do I need to inject some CO2? It's an IPA and has been kept at approx 24degrees during fermentation.
Thanks

**Just to add, I added 110g of sugar for carbonation to a 5 gallon keg**

Last edited:
It will be flat and cloudy.
You need to keep it at about 20c for at least two weeks to let the remaining yeast use up the added sugar and hopefully carbonate the beer. It should clear down as well. This is when you find out how good the barrel seals are as the pressure builds up.

Thanks
It has been sitting in a dark cupboard for two weeks before I put into the fridge but about 24degrees. Couldn't get it any lower than that in the summer heat.
Before I started the brew I tool my pressure barrel cap into my local hombrew shop to have the seals replaced but noticed last night that it has been leaking from the cap seal despite this. The brass piece for the CO2 cartridge was moveable by hand so I decided that I had to try and fix it and hopefully not ruin it! Took the cap off, tightened up the valve and replaced the cap. I put a good measure of CO2 in and left it for a couple of hours and tried it. It came out with a bit more fizz but by the time I got half way down it was flat again. Will the CO2 give it more carbonation if I leave it for longer? Say a week? I must say it still tastes pretty nice but was still a little on the cloudy side

Last edited:
Apologies I misread your post. I thought you had put it in the fridge direct from tHe fv. With the extra info I think your initial problem was with the faulty seal letting any co2 escape and the beer go flat.
Adding extra co2 will not add any fiz as the pressure is too low to carbonate the beer. The hope is that pressure in the barrel will be enough to keep any secondary fermentation carbonation in the beer.
I tend to use a small 12.5 ltre pressure barrel and split a brew between this and bottles. That way I can consume the barrel before it goes flat.

Back