Wilko keg leak!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt666

Reaction score
Just had a bit of a disaster with a wilko keg. I noticed it was weeping from the tap o ring so I tightened it, and noticed that the beer squirted out of the join between barrel and tap when you pushed it left and it felt a bit loose. I lied it on its back and unscrewed the tap and the thread has partially split off the body of the tap. Probably due to me over tightening it.

Luckily I had an unused keg which has just run out of its previous contents yesterday, so I whipped the tap off that and put it on the full barrel, also replaced the cap with a co2 injector one and gave it a shot of co2. The original cap was a standard non injector cap.

Question - is there anything else I can do to save the beer? I'm hoping I haven't introduced infection, I was careful not to touch the tap thread end.

Question 2 - I now have a couple of kegs with a good tap seal. When cleaning them is it OK to leave the tap in place and just pass some solution through it? I'd rather not unscrew it now it's air tight.

Both of my wilkos barrels leak from the taps. Hence why I think im just going straight to bottle in future!

I think they're a bit unreliable. I've had two leaks but the rest have been fine. You can get a good seal, one had an incredible amount of pressure in it when I opened it to clean it when it was finished.

Pressure test before you fill... with valuable fluids... so use water and a puff of Co2

PH

Back