Another IPA problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Reaction score
I brewed the kit as per instructions and put in the recommended sugar to achieve the 2nd fermentation. A month later the beer is both flat and frankly pretty horrid, a very yeasty smell, and very cloudy. It is in my cellar at some 15C. I am seriously thinking of binning it and moving on. Everything was sterilised and it is our first failure if it is one?

The kit was a Youngs "American IPA" kit.

PH

Have you got a leak from your keg?
I take it you used the priming sugar supplied with the kit? I brewed this kit for a week added the hops ,waited another four days then siphon into roto keg .it was still very active but it pressurized the keg never had to gas yet . And yes mine still very cloudy after two months .but tastes amazing :p

As far as I can tell the keg is sealed tight.

No priming sugar with the kit as I recall, I used my own brewing sugar to prime it.

Looks bad smells bad tastes bad, so far a total waste of money.

PH

As far as I can tell the keg is sealed tight.

No priming sugar with the kit as I recall, I used my own brewing sugar to prime it.

Looks bad smells bad tastes bad, so far a total waste of money.

PH

Looks like a bad one. Sorry mate . I've got the ipa and its bloody amazing . My kit come with sugar . :p

Certainly possible if to our thoughts unlikely as all was sterilised. However never say never.

We are giving it another two weeks as it is possible the 2nd fermentation is still ongoing. After that the drain beckons.

PH

I did the Youngs APA and it was fantastic in bottles.

Sounds like and infection. Stuff happens.

Don't let it put you off those Youngs American Craft kits - they are some of the best kits out there.

The makers have seen a sample and think it may well be okay, and into the bargain due to the LBS saying we are a good customer we have a new kit too.

Well done to Youngs.

PH

Bloody hell, fair play to Youngs. I've got an American Amber on at the moment and planning to do the other 2 in the range.

Regarding your problem, you could try re priming and putting it somewhere warm for a week

Latest posts

Back