Airlock not bubbling after 48hrs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJT

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I am a newbie and have a question on my first brew. I have had a better brew IPA fermenting now for just over 48hrs but no bubbling. It has a krausen ring so I know it is fermenting but was hoping for some reassurance about the airlock. Yeast was pitched at 23 degrees and its sitting at 18-22 degrees since.

Should it be bubbling by now and should I be concerned?

If I lightly press on the top the airlock bubbles and I have made sure the lid was on properly.

Thanks for any comments.

I had this worry on my last brew - after 4 days was getting very worried.
I then checked that the lid was really shut properly by working round the whole FV and pressing - a small section snapped shut so the gas must have been escaping here. As soon as I did this the airlock bubbled along happily.

I know you said you'd checked but always worth another go - hope this helps

Cheers.

Just checked and the lid is definitely on correctly as nothing clicked down.

I will leave it another 20-24 hrs and see where it's at!

Hi AJT,

I recently brewed 3 separate kits in a FV that had no airlock activity.

The brews turned out OK, but I too was worried by the lack of activity on the airlock.

I have since purchased a new FV and completed a brew in it which has resulted in almost alarming bubbling from the airlock, which has made me very happy.

The lack of bubbling on the first merely meant that the gas was escaping from somewhere else. So if you have your Krausen, I would say the yeast is doing it's job, but you have a leak.

Not too bad, but if it can leak out, air can leak in, so your brew could get infected.

Check it at the end, or get a new FV, mine was £7 from Wilko, and as I said, works a treat!

Llama

I've never had an airlock that bubbles in three FVs - plenty are just not airtight.

Sure fire way of seeing if fermentation us taking place? Check the gravity to see if it is getting lower!

I've had to pitch extra yeast once in around 20 brews.

I recommend rehydrating the yeast in some pre-boiled water that has reached the recommended pitching temperature about half an hour before making the kit, then adding some of the wort 5 minutes before pitching.

It's like being booted out of bed 30 seconds before being asked to run a marathon, if you chuck it straight in. Let it wake up gradually, then get a taste of what's coming!

Latest posts

Back