STRONG Beer ;)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deejie

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm your beer kit brewer. Experimentation for me = addition of some spray malt to a pressure barrel. Thassall.

However, with my current brew I tried to strengthen it... and I think it's worked.
I brewed a Woodforde Wherry short by about 4 litres, and have added 200g soft brown sugar in total, to help it along. Since Ive stopped taking hydrometer readings, I can only go on the pint-and-a-half I had last night, which made me next to useless...

My forum questions therefore are:
- how best to strengthen a brew without altering taste
- what's the strongest beer you've brewed?
- is there anything else I should know or try?

Cheers,
DJA

Hi, Deejie

If you are brewing to 20L, then 400g dextrose or table sugar will raise the alcohol content by about 1% - a 4.5% beer becomes 5.5%. This will have the least effect on the taste, but I cannot see any way that it can have none at all.

5.5% is the approximate strength of your Wherry, the main unknowns being how much priming sugar you added and how well the fermentation went in the warm weather. This is about as strong a beer as I have done - 30 since I restarted in 2013, a Hoppy Coopers IPA I estimated at 5.8% and that was some strength I can tell you.

Best advice I guess is to take OG and FG hydrometer readings and not to aim too high unless you want a totally different style. Above say, 6-7%, it's a Barley wine - for sipping rather than necking and you might as well try a WOW or a cheap wine kit.

Latest posts

Back