Red (Barollo) 11 day ferment ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyPage

Reaction score
Finally got the nerve to try a red again, after sounding advice off here, and my LHBS. Wanted to make a Beaverdale "Barolla"( Barollo). Took advice of using a 10L bucket, rather than demijohn, to prevent fierce bubbling, and to use a custom yeast - "Vintners Harvest: SN9".

I was concerned with these hot days we've had, but was assured I'd be OK (no heating mat).

After 3 days, when it seemed the fierce bubbling had subsided, I transferred to an airlocked demijohn.

Activity seemed a little sluggish, but was there.

Just checked the s.g. and it's a tad under 990, and the wine tastes ... quite good.

Is a full fermentation in 11 days possible, or desireable ?

I have had wine finish in 7 days in the middle of summer, its not desirable but if you have no means of keeping it cool (like me) you have no option, the general rule of thumb is the longer the fermentation the better the wine.

I have had wine finish in 7 days in the middle of summer, its not desirable but if you have no means of keeping it cool (like me) you have no option, the general rule of thumb is the longer the fermentation the better the wine.

That's what I thought, but the tiny taste I had was ... lovely. I suspect this could be the best red I have ever made ....

I don't drink red wine but let us know how it turns out as other red wine drinkers may be interested in this kit.

I have made this and it is quite superb. We love it. And yes, it does ferment quickly. I used the yeast supplied.

Well, s.g. stayed a tad under 990, I cleared, filtered and bottled the wine. 5 bottles in the cupboard, and we had enough left for 4 glasses - or 2 nights ;)

SWMBO is in raptures over this wine, and says it's one of the best she's tasted - and that includes shop bought (although neither of us is in any way a connoisseur). It has a nice fruity - NOT sweet - body, and a smooth taste.

Pleased I've finally been able to prove (to myself) that I can do it.

Now to the Chardonnay ... it's been 2 weeks, and at 992, and tasting pretty good too ...

Latest posts

Back