Bottle conditioning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie_Mullen

Reaction score
Hi. I brewed my first batch of cider last autumn and ended up with 15 gallons which I split into three. One batch was artificially sweetened and bottled in 4 pint bottles, one batch was served from a pressure barrel and the last batch was to be bottle conditioned in Grolsch bottles after being artificially sweetened.

Originally I was in a rush to get it done but I found the other batches improved nicely with age so the last batch has been sat in the garage for a few months. I'm now wanting to get it bottled to free up the demijohns ready for the next attempt. I've got the conditioning drops and the bottles but I'm wondering if there will be enough yeast left to create the secondary fermentation when the extra sugar goes in? I don't want to be left with loads of gunk in the bottom of the bottles so I'm reluctant to add more yeast now as it's crystal clear but equally I need it to react enough to add a little fizz. Do I need to add anything or should it react without?

I don't want a lot of fizz, I'm aiming for a little bit less than the big name commercial ciders. With that in mind I'll use one drop per bottle. Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance

Latest posts

Back