im too impatient.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispurvis

Reaction score
Hi all. Im really new too all this.altough very excited about my new hobbie. Ive just bottled my first brew of coopers euro lager and already got another kit in the FV.
However my bottles have been conditioning for 3 days and i cant stop drinking them. The guidelines say wait 12 weeks before opening. But i think it tastes pretty good already altough flat. Do i really have to wait? Is it really gonna taste that much better?

The longer you leave them the better they will be. 3 days really isn't long enough! 3 weeks maybe but even that's a bit early for some kits. Get some decent shop bought bottles for a while to tide you over, then get the kits going in rotation so you always have one on the go and one for drinking.

Is it likely to get fizzier as it conditions? Thats the only let down. Cos it really does taste great.
Ive primed 500ml pep bottles with one carbonation drop as per instructions.
Ive got 1ltr glass bottles for my next brew. A pilsner from wilko. The instructions would suggest 2 drops for them but im concidering 3-4 ?
Also ill prob run out of drops so will use sugar for primeing. Does it matter which sugar i use? Ie granulated supermarket stuff? And how much per 500ml/1 ltr?. If you know
Thx in advance.

Chris

Table sugar at 6g per litre for ale, 8g per litre for lager is reasonable advice.
Most people get disillusioned with carbonation drops as they are very expensive priming sugar and if you have a plastic funnel, not really any easier than table sugar.

You can use any type of sugar and some have used spraymalt too. Won't make much difference for priming. :cheers:

Chris

Table sugar at 6g per litre for ale, 8g per litre for lager is reasonable advice.
Most people get disillusioned with carbonation drops as they are very expensive priming sugar and if you have a plastic funnel, not really any easier than table sugar.

You can use any type of sugar and some have used spraymalt too. Won't make much difference for priming. :cheers:

Thank you slid

Haha, it's alright to enjoy a few bottles of them before they're "ripe" but I'd try to leave them for a bit longer. You won't believe the difference even a few weeks make. They will get a lot clearer and develop proper carbonation and in general taste a lot more crisper. And as always, don't forget to serve them at 4°-5°! I'd leave them in the fridge for a few nights before drinking.

As matt666 said above, get some beer from the shops to get you by, haha. :)

Thx all for replying. I too ragnar am thoroughly enjoying it. Especially the 8 pints i had last night. Altough im feeling it this morning. Fortunatly im not at work this week. Im going to take your advice and lock them in the cupboard to mature.

The next kit i got in FV is a wilko delicate pilsner im hopefully going to bottle at the wkend and can drink that one after just a couple of weeks. So i wont need to spend too much on shop bought tinnies for too long.

Cheers
Chris

P.s sorry ragnar im getting mixed up from my 2 threads you wrote on my intro thread that you were enjoying your hobbie.

Haha, you'll have none left soon! You always run out just as the beer reaches its full potential!

Managed to keep away from them tonight. Wasnt easy thoe. Tinnies from supermarket tomorrow then im away for the wkend. Then work beckons so they may last untill the end of nxt weak at least.

Who am i kidding?
They will be long gone by the time they reach full potential. :)

You could always do a double brew, leave a few weeks and drink one leave one on the shelf you will soon have more than you can drink and it will taste much better. I started brewing beer and cider because I started with wine and it was taking soooo long. In fact it's just done after a year!!!! only problem is it tastes really nice and I have nearly finished it in the first few weeks?? :lol:

I was a bit like that with my brews but these new ones I'm sticking in storage and leaving them!....... actually maybe I'll have one or two ;)

Alright, I'm gonna have to post here as well. I started my first brew not too long ago, it's coming up to a week on Sunday. I am impatient, I kinda want to bottle it all up and try it. Even the bloody instructions said 4-6 days! :) Then I got on this forum and people are saying at least 2-3 weeks. I got to the stage where I want to buy another fermenting barrel and start a different brew, I'm thinking about some chocolate stout. But I haven't even bottled this! And I should not! I'm not sure if this brewing thing is for me, I might be way too impatient to wait for my brews to mature :( And the worst part is? I'm not a big drinker. I barely drink more than one bottle a week :D

I have done a 4 day brew as instructions, as long as it has stopped fermentation your fine. Prime bottles and leave 2 weeks then drink. It will improve with age but you'll be surprised how good it is after a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back