Is it worth inverting granulated sugar?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Day

Reaction score
I thought I had some spare DX but I don't so I thought I'd maybe invert the sugar for a Wilko Chardonnay kit. I guess I'm thinking to boil the sugar for some sterilization too.

I thought I had some spare DX but I don't so I thought I'd maybe invert the sugar for a Wilko Chardonnay kit. I guess I'm thinking to boil the sugar for some sterilization too.

Basically, no. Just dissolve table sugar in boiling water and it will be fine.

Cheers slid, I did end up boiling with some lemon juice just as an excuse to use my new stock pot for steeping hops :D.

I'm not sure if it's made much difference but the airlock was bubbling with in 25 mins, albeit gently.

Yeast will invert sugar to use it as energy by itself - you don't have to invert it yourself prior to pitching. Using invert sugar will make the fermentation start a little earlier, but it's not noticeable. Some invert sugars can bring different flavours to the beer, so it can be worthwhile using them for that reason. Tate & Lyle Golden Syrup is invert sugar, so use this if you want to. It can add a slightly toffee flavour to the beer.

Latest posts

Back