Turbo yeast flavors

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pith-head

Reaction score
Hi, i bought a turbo wine yeast and then found out that you have to buy flavors to add to it, I then found out that the flavors are 2 to 3 pound each.

The flavors despite their cost only do 75cl so you need 2 flavors to cover 1lt, this to me is bordering on extortion. in fact if you add up the cost, its probably not worth wile doing.

Does anyone know a cheaper way to flavor the turbo yeast brew? Thanks for any replies.

Could i put it another way then, would anyone know if it is possible to prepare blackberry and apples as you would for making wine and add them to the turbo mix along with the sugar and water? Would the turbo yeast convert the fruit along with the sugar?

Any info would be very welcome, thanks.

yes but ;)

what are you after making? if its a 20% liqueur style drink look at getting some hi alcohol neutral spirit (Polish shops for under the counter spiritus - rectified spirits http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectified_spirit#Poland) and infusing/diluting to taste.

turbo yeasts are filthy things generating fuel flavors, i tried one once and unlike any beer ive brewed the stink of the ferment turned my stomach.

Thanks for the reply Fil, I was looking to make a fruit flavored cider by using Blackberries, cooking apples and ginger, if that is possible, the turbo yeast i have is alcotec 48 dual purpose. I priced the essences and they were in my opinion too expensive, if i could find essences at the right price i would then give them a try as well. Thanks again.

Regarding the rectified spirit, is that instead of using turbo yeast and sugar?

Thanks for the reply Fil, I was looking to make a fruit flavored cider by using Blackberries, cooking apples and ginger, if that is possible, the turbo yeast i have is alcotec 48 dual purpose. I priced the essences and they were in my opinion too expensive, if i could find essences at the right price i would then give them a try as well. Thanks again.

Regarding the rectified spirit, is that instead of using turbo yeast and sugar?

i think you would be much better off not touching the turbo yeast and just using straight ale or perhaps champaign or sparkeling wine yeast.
an apple ginger n blackcurrent cider wont want to be any stronger than 5-6% imho but if you use wine yeasts you can easily brew upto 11-12 % perhaps more but it will be a silly cider ;) at a reasonable strength it sounds like a nice tipple

if your spending time and cash on good ingredients and their preperation trying to cut corners with a fuel yeast( turbo yeasts produce ethanol and lots of it quickly without regard for taste ) to save a few days wait may not be the best course. even if you cut the fermentation down from 2-3weeks to 48 hours you will still need to spend upto a fortnight conditioning and perhaps a month or more maturing the brew tho that is down to personal taste you may enjoy the drink green.

the yeast is another ingredient that adds to the drink us05 should ferment well drop out cleanly and provide a crisp flavour.

i suggested the spirits as turbo yeasts are known for hi alcohol resiliance and can brew upto 20% and the essences you add are generally to make cocktail flavor or sprirt flavor drinks.. so to make a apple/ginger/blackcurrent liquer 20%-60% proof you would add concentrated cordials or boilled down to syrup juice, and dilute the pure spirit to the level you want after flavoring but thats not what your after, my mistake..

so to make apple/ginger/blackcurrent liquer 20%-60% proof you would add concentrated cordials or boilled down to syrup juice, and dilute the pure spirit to the level you want after flavoring but that's not what your after, my mistake..

Could you tell me where I would get boiled down to syrup juice and concentrated cordials?

What i am after is a nice fruity taste with a decent alcohol percentage.

Thanks again for your replies.

concentrated cordials like ribena come from the shop, to boil down fruit juice into a syrup add juice to a pan and simmer til its a thick syrup.. no black arts ;)

google applejack, - ferment a cider/juice/wine and freeze, the water will freeze leaving a high alcohol liquid behind..

Applejack is made by storing completely finished apple wine at below freezing temperatures. What happens is the water that is in the apple wine freezes and rises to the top while the alcohol stays in liquid form - a process known as fractional crystallization. Each day you simply scoop off the ice that has formed, causing the alcohol and the apple flavor that is left behind to become more concentrated.

Each day you will notice that the amount of ice that is forming will be less and less, until eventually no more ice will form at all at that particular temperature. The following will give you an idea of how concentrated the alcohol can become at a given temperature: at zero degrees ice will form until the liquid reaches 14% alcohol by volume. At 10 below ice will form until it reaches 20%. At 20 below 27% can be made. And, at 30 below 33% alcohol can be obtained.

Thanks Fil, i'll crack on with it.

Another problem has occurred, i have put the lemon juice in too soon, i put it in with the apples and berries instead of at the same time as the yeast. Could you tell me if i should add more lemon juice with the yeast or will it be ok as it is?

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back