First TC advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguinarmy

Reaction score
I made my first Apple TC last night and as per normal have a few questions

I used

3.5 ltr cheap apple juice 100% from concentrate.
1tsp pectolase
1 tsp nutrient.
1 tsp Youngs super wine yeast.
3 teabag tannin.

Starting OG 1044 pitched yeast at 24 deg C

Ive not added any sugar... I worked out as 429gms in the 3.5ltrs.... will it be ok?

Its bubbling away and has a crust on the top.

Any advice would be much appreciated
Thank you :hat:

Mine is similar. 4lts. half cup double yorks teabag tea. wine yeast. 100grms extra sugar. pectulose and nutrient.
Bubbled after just 1 hour. 3 days later i topped off with more juice.
Its now day 9 and fermentation has pretty much stopped.

Experimental DJ2 will commence tonight with 200grms sugar, beer yeast and all the rest!

I always make turbo cider. But I have never used pectoral or nutrient. Just get 4 litres of juice 100 grams of sugar and chuck so easy cider yeast in and then once it's fermented and cleared either bottle or bag it and leave for a couple weeks.

No I don't add anything exempt the 100 grams of caster sugar. If I bottle then I prime with half a teaspoon of sugar. But if I do a bag I a box then I don't prime making it a still cider.

its going nicely still bubbling, how long does it take to clear.. are we talking wine clear or so you can just see through it????
any more advise please

:hat:

Mine is 2 1/2 weeks old. Racked after 1 week as fermentation had all but stopped. Top 2" of DJ crystal clear then a definitive line where it becomes only slightly cloudy. I'll see how it goes but not in any rush.

Edit: this is my first ever brew.

Last edited:
When I keg bottle or bag it is never clear but after a week or so it clears. It clears quicker if chilled.

My first batch is now 15 days old. Fermentation has stopped. Its fairly clear so im going to rack it off tonight.
It will be eventually bottled in about 2 weeks. Im going for sparkling.

Question is, should i use finings?

My first batch is now 15 days old. Fermentation has stopped. Its fairly clear so im going to rack it off tonight.
It will be eventually bottled in about 2 weeks. Im going for sparkling.

Question is, should i use finings?

I never use finings for t/c, it clears enough when bottled. Many ciders are cloudy anyway.
I usually rack mine off but also have syphoned off straight into bottles with no problems.

I didnt bother with finings in the end Frase. It was clear enough. Ive racked it. I want to back sweeten. How much sucralose should i try out?

its a bitdry/strong/rough at the moment

Hi mitch, i usually put 1 tsp sweetener to 500ml or add. 8 tsp to the demi before bottling, i disolve the sweetener in a bit of warm boiled water.
I've done a Dimes sour cherry t/c recently and is spot on, asda sell the Dimes juice 100% in the polish/continental isle. The peach Dimes t/c is also great...

I can recommend using fresh apple juice to back sweeten as it can come out really dry. It will clear well if left long enough and you can always decant a couple of times rather than using finings to clear it.

I can recommend using fresh apple juice to back sweeten as it can come out really dry. It will clear well if left long enough and you can always decant a couple of times rather than using finings to clear it.

what type of yeast had you been using ?

what type of yeast had you been using ?

Honestly, I was seeing how cheap I could do it all so I was using Morrisons baking yeast and it actually worked out alright. To be fair a lot of what I was making was only about the alcohol.

Honestly, I was seeing how cheap I could do it all so I was using Morrisons baking yeast and it actually worked out alright. To be fair a lot of what I was making was only about the alcohol.

then use champagne yeast - better tasting finish and will give you more alcohol as it powers through sugars !

Back