Blackberry wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pith-head

Reaction score
Hi, i have just made my third blackberry wine, i was just about to syphon it out of the FV in to a demijon but the smell of it is vile, it smells exactly like bostic rubber glue. Obviously i will sling it, but i wonder if any one knows what caused the problem?

Oh and all the blackberries are floating on the top, they are virtually colorless though, so it looks as though the juice has been extracted. I would like to know what i have done wrong, so i can learn from my mistakes.

Thanks for any replies.

Hi mate.
I am hardly an expert as only been brewing for a year or so but I have some blackberry wine on the go that is all good.
Just wondering why are the blackberries still in the wine?
Normaly you would remove all solids after the first stage of fermentation (about 7 days or so ).
If you leave them all in there for any length of time it can get a bit funky!

Funnily enough I've just had 2 lots of bullace (wild plum) wine go rank on the first fermemtation. Think I left it too long in first stage or possibly some contamination?
I Normaly leave the fruit in and did with my blackberry wine, which I started nearly a year ago and still going. It's been fine up to now.
I do suspect that leaving the fruit in for the bullace wine was a bad call though.
It too was on top and colourless like your blackberrys!

Ive made wines from wild fruits for many years, just started again so im abit rusty with all the new techniques ect but i used to ferment on the must but now i just simmer the fruit for 10 mins for soft fruit and 30 mins for hard fruit then after its cool i push it through a sieve or colander then filter it into the DJ adding a sugar solution and a yeast starter. This gets rid of excess tanin and no yucky taste!

Hi did you use a campden tablet in with the fruit when you first started to make the must? I do this regardless of whether I use boiling water (let it cool first or the smell is over powering):sick: also don't be so quick to condemn it ,unless you need the space it could just be the smell of fermentation! This can be pretty funky I've found

Hi did you use a campden tablet in with the fruit when you first started to make the must? I do this regardless of whether I use boiling water (let it cool first or the smell is over powering):sick: also don't be so quick to condemn it ,unless you need the space it could just be the smell of fermentation! This can be pretty funky I've found

No i did not use a campden tablet wezil and i do nbelieve its gone off, its a real chemical sort of smell. Not to worry though i have plenty more to go at. :D

I've not had it but I have read that autolysis (?), dead yeast cells rupturing, can cause a rubbery taste/smell. Seems too matching to be coincidental, possibly.

I did 3 batches of blackberry this year(99 bottles). 1st batch smelled awful from the word go..........................I had added sultanas for more body and depth of taste. Left fruit in full length of fermentation (for more colour).
Now bottled a few weeks and tastes great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't bin it until its 2 years old, at least!
HTH:drink:

Latest posts

Back