First Attempt a wine from fruit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hondac90

Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

I've done a few wine and beer kits, managed to drink most of it.

A few weeks ago I was offered some plums. I washed and pitted them (just over 2kg), left them to soak for a week in 5 litres of water, stirring daily. After a week I put 1kg of brewing sugar in each bottle and strained half the plums into each bottle, topped up with water, add a teaspoon of citric acid to each and a sachet of yeast.

A few days later they look like this.

This being my first go, I'm concerned that there might be an issue with them. Any advice or reassurance would be great.

pumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I didn't add Pectolase. What does it do? Is it too late to add? What effect does it have?

Pectolase stops a haze developing In your wine, you can add it now it won't harm.
Make sure you sterilise everything as you have to mix it with half a cup of warm water before adding to the wine.

Thank you for all your advice. The wine is looking much better now. Moved it into clean demijohns to remove the scum and took the SG, at 986 so added 200gm's to help sweeten it.

IMG_0867.jpg

Did you add a wine stabiliser or campden tablet or something when you added the sugar?

200g of sugar fermenting in the container might be a big mess by tomorrow.

Other than that, it looks great to me!

Thanks for the reply. I didn't add Pectolase. What does it do? Is it too late to add? What effect does it have?

Pectolase, Also Called Pectinase And Pectin Enzyme.

Used To Ensure Maximum Yield Of Juice & Flavour From Fruits Etc.

Prevents Possible Pectin Hazes.

Did you add a wine stabiliser or campden tablet or something when you added the sugar?

200g of sugar fermenting in the container might be a big mess by tomorrow.

Other than that, it looks great to me!

I didn't add either as it looks like fermentation has stopped. What is the difference between wine stabiliser and campden tablets?

I didn't add either as it looks like fermentation has stopped. What is the difference between wine stabiliser and campden tablets?

We use Campden tablets to prevent spoilage and stabiliser (also called Potassium Sorbate & Fermentation Stopper) to kill the yeast.

4065_base_1024x1024.jpeg

Yes one CT per gallon, crush a campden tablet between 2 teaspoons and add it to the DJ then rack onto it and give the DJ a swirl, you usually add half a teaspoon of stabiliser per DJ but read the instructions, you may have to dissolve it in some warm water if so remember to sterilise everything it touches.

Latest posts

Back