Apple juice TC - Extra tannin?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gicarey

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Kicked off an apple juice turboish cider today, as follows:

- 3 x 1ltr cartons of el cheapo apple juice (from concentrate)
- Juice of 1kg of Crab Apples (frozen from last years harvest), gave about 200ml of incredibly bitter, fairly pulpy (likely due to rubbish juicer), juice
- Juice of 1 bramley apple, as i had it lying around and needed using
- 3 x tbsp rosehip syrup (from a batch made last winter)
- 50g sugar
- Pectolase
- Yeast Nutrient
- Cider Yeast (Gervin GC13)
- Bentonite (1/2tsp made into a slurry) (as I had some, and the recipe on yobrew suggested it)

All mixed up in the DJ and topped up to the shoulder with water, giving about 4 litres at a 1.046 OG

Going to let it fement out as far as it wants to go, then decide if backsweetening or drinking it dry is the order of the day. Plan is to bottle (brown PETs, 1/2tsp sugar for secondary fermentation & carbonation)

A question - if this were just pure AJ i'd be looking to add some tannin, and perhaps increase the acidity (really should get a testing kit). As things stand, though, I've not, on the assumption that the Crab Apples may be bringing sufficient along with them. Anyone have opinions on this they care to share?

Thanks,

Gavin.

Oh, and here's the picture of the thing after it's all bunged together:

2014-08-20%2011.23.18.jpg

Got round to bottling this tonight, it had fermented down to 1.000 (so estimating around 6% ABV) and cleared quite nicely (can't read the smallprint through it like the WoW i need to get round to bottling, but not that far off).

All into sgar-primed bottles and now back in the utility room for a week or two.

The taste I got from the syphon tube was pretty good, so fingers crossed for the fizzy end product in a couple of weeks.

Back