Barley malt extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevey

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just seen this on ebay in 3.18kg tubs, anyone know what can be made with it? I was thinking a tub of this with some hops and yeast any ideas what it would come out like? :???:

got a link?

if anything like the malt extract you can find in 500g jars on the supermarket shelf it may not be the quality you want for brewing a beer. tho would probably be a better substitute for sucrose when brewing a kit..

Hi

Yeh, I tried your suggest of using that as the sole malt in an extract brew, dissolved and boiled with hops. Pitched in the FV, racked into a barrel post fermentation, primed, then allowed to mature.

Malt extract's malt extract, right? Wrong! It's not produced for brewing, the beer was awful, and had to be slung. My suggest is; don't do it!

Cheers,
Chris

Hi

Yeh, I tried your suggest of using that as the sole malt in an extract brew, dissolved and boiled with hops. Pitched in the FV, racked into a barrel post fermentation, primed, then allowed to mature.

Malt extract's malt extract, right? Wrong! It's not produced for brewing, the beer was awful, and had to be slung. My suggest is; don't do it!

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks for the benefit of your experience, I'm convinced. I'll just keep going to wilkos then. Thanks all. :drink:

Hi

Wouldn't want to put you off - extract brewing can make good beer. Just use the right extract!

Cheers,
Chris

I have just kicked off a brew using only Coopers Dark Malt Extract - with the addition of some Ritches hop liquid extract, some columbus hop tea, and some Mangrove Jack's West Coast yeast. I intend to dry hop it two days before bottling. I hope it's not a waste of time! I did start to wonder if I had made a mistake :-? Oh, and 1kg of spray malt - forgot that!

Last edited:
I have just kicked off a brew using only Coopers Dark Malt Extract - with the addition of some Ritches hop liquid extract, some columbus hop tea, and some Mangrove Jack's West Coast yeast. I intend to dry hop it two days before bottling. I hope it's not a waste of time! I did start to wonder if I had made a mistake :-? Oh, and 1kg of spray malt - forgot that!

Sounds like a very tasty brew you have started there.. you can judge for yourself if you wasted time in a few weeks ;) :drunk:

Update: the brew was ok. Not brilliant, but drinkable. If anything a bit thin tasting, I.e. Lacking a bit of body. Nice taste, and actually quite refreshing, but not the result I was after, tbh. Ah well, back to the drawing board (or the Young's American range!).

Hi

Cheers,
Chris
Malt extract is malt extract is malt extract...theoretically "yes". But you don't know what type of barley is being used ie...6 row...2 row

Latest posts

Back