Milton Tablets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soloslash2010

Reaction score
Im about to sterilize a bunch of bottles and was told by a friend to use milton tablets due to price and availability but have read that some people say the solution should be rinsed after but they are advertised as a no rinse solution so wandered what other people thought ?

for brewing rinse! afaik they are chlorine/bleach based which will taint beer if not properly rinsed.

sounds like an expensive option to me tho,
5star starsan a real no rinse sanitiser for about a tenner a bottle Might sound expensive, but a bottle should last quite a few years if you brew weekly. i mixed up 5l last year and will need to mix up some more for the next brew only because the trigger spray bottle i use for it has moved to the kitchen as its cheaper than buying the detol surface spray ;)

for cleaning and soaking laundry oxi (unscented) at £2-3 per kilo ;)
if buying from the £shop open n sniff to ensure its unscented they sometimes package the scented in unscented labelled tubs

I use the Milton liquid and tablets and as i only make wine never rinse and have never tasted chlorine in my wine.

As Fil says if you are making beer you would have to rinse.

Mrs Tea has been paying £1:30 for milton and i have just found - Tesco Loves Baby Sterilising Tablet 56 Pack at 73 pence which sounds a good saving.

You add one milton tablet to 5 litres of water and for the tesco version you add one tablet to 2.3 litres water, you get 28 tablets in the milton pack and 73 in the Tesco version but are using twice as many of the Tesco version per litre therefore you only get 4 more tablets in the Tesco version, not as big a saving as first thought.

thanks fr the replies i managed to get milton tabs for £1.35 from boots which will do until i can source a cheap bottle of starsan, anybody know the best place to get some ?

A quick search turns up - Starsan 473ml bottle £14.88 so its not cheap but -

Question: After one use like that would it still be good or would I need to dump it?

Answer: StarSan can be reused. It's an acidic cleaner. Once the pH rises above 3, it should be replaced. Color or cloudiness is not an appropriate indicator of potency. (per Five Star Chemicals - makers of StarSan)

I keep a gallon Simply Orange Juice jug full of it in the Brewhouse to use for all sorts of things.

I prep a small bucket of StarSan for use on brew day.

I also keep a spray bottle of StarSan handy.

A quick search turns up - Starsan 473ml bottle £14.88 so its not cheap but -

at say 8ml per 5l mixed which should last you 3 brews.. as its easy to apply with a trigger spray bottle, and as you just rinse it over clean surfaces you can reuse and reuse,,

473/8= 59 5l batches... and thats a strong solution.. and with a very conservative estimate of 3 brews per batch that over 175 brews per bottle,
that less than 9p per brew, AND no rinsing....

btw i am still on my 2nd 5l batch of starsan bought last year.. and i also mix up with bottled water which raises the cost per brew to about 40p :):drunk:

Latest posts

Back