Festive Xmas Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguinarmy

Reaction score
This is from a thread that has been dead for a while so I've updated the recipe.......

2x 411gm Tesco finest mincemeat (423.2gm sugar total)
4 ltr Water
400 gm Sugar
1 tsp Pectolase
1 tsp Glycrine
5 gm GV1 yeast

Pitched at 29 dec C
SG 1066

1. Add the Mincemeat into a pan with 1 pint of water, heat gently.
2. The vegetable suet will float to the top, i removed it with a large spoon and a sieve.
3. Add the sugar to the pan and stir until dissolved.
4. Once cooled add to DJ adding water, glycrine, pectolase and yeast.
5. There is alot of sediment floating around in the DJ, so far it has not affected it and is bubbling away.

I will update as i progress

This i got from the thread by the member screamlead for those who wish to make there own Suet free mincemeat.

Makes about 4lb/2kg0250g soft dark brown sugar,250ml medium dry cider,1kg cooking apples, peeled, halved and quartered,½ tsp mixed spice,½ tsp ground cinnamon,500g dried mixed fruit,75g glace cherries, roughly chopped,75g blanched almonds,zest & juice of ½ lemon 6 tablespoons brandy (alternatively rum) ...I use pure apple juice instead of cider and add extra brandy as the preservative. If you cant get the dark brown sugar, I reduce grape pekmez in a saucepan and add normal sugar to taste. And I keep mine in the fridge after making it around the end of October. 1. Place the cider and the sugar in a large saucepan and heat gently.2. Add the roughly chopped apples to the saucepan and stir well.3. Add the remaining ingredients, apart from brandy (or rum). Simmer for around 30 minutes until the mixture is soft and pulpy.4. Meanwhile wash the jars well and sterilize. I usually do this by filling the jars with boiling water and putting the lids in a bowl of boiling water. I pour away the water just before filling each jar and immediately take the lid from the bowl and screw it on. Shake as much water from them as possible before filling.Alternatively put the jars in an oven set to 180oC/350oF/Gas 4 for 10 minutes. Be careful to put them on a dry surface when removing or they could crack. Lids can be placed in a small pan of boiling water. Shake as much water from the lids as possible before filling.5. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes. Stir in the brandy (or rum) and transfer to sterilized jars. Once the jars are filled and the lids well screwed on, invert them to improve the heat seal. Turn the jars the right way up once they are cool.6. This mincemeat can be used immediately after cooking if you wish, but improves with age and keeps well.

2014-08-24 11.06.31.jpg

Thanks for bringing it back to life!
I posted the original and loved this recipe but never seemed to take off.... Good luck with it it has such a beautiful body!!

UPDATE 30/08/14

Racked into another DJ after straining through a muzzling cloth and topped up with 400ml of cooled boiled water.

bubbling away nicely again, On tasting as v impressed tasted just like mince pie, looking forward to the finished product,

Just had the yeast delivered for this kit so going to get it started tonight, can't wait! This is going to be the first wine I'll have attempted so I'm very unfamiliar with the process of wine making so fingers crossed...

Quick question: how did you use the muzzling cloth to strain the wine when racking? Cheers

On tasting as v impressed tasted just like mince pie, looking forward to the finished product,

Well that looked :sick: in the DJ, i like the sound of how it turned out. :thumb:

Thanks chippy.

Penguin, how is the muzzling cloth used to strain? Do you wrap it around the end of the siphon or do you cover the opening of the DJ with it and then siphon it across? Sorry for sounding thick, I just can't figure out how to siphon and strain at the same time.

Thanks chippy.

Penguin, how is the muzzling cloth used to strain? Do you wrap it around the end of the siphon or do you cover the opening of the DJ with it and then siphon it across? Sorry for sounding thick, I just can't figure out how to siphon and strain at the same time.

what i did was open the muzzling cloth in a 2ltr measuring jug and tipped it all in there in stages so all the liquid was in the jug and the fruit was in the cloth and then strained it into the jug and poured it into a clean DJ.

hope it helps :hat:

Ive taken a gravity reading and its 1022 giving an ABV of 5.8%

its still bubbling and plan on leaving it until it completely stops and taking another and adding stabilizer etc....

It tastes really nice (like liquid mince pie) its sweet and would make a V good desert wine. im looking forward to the results and FG reading.

finally bottled the wine tonight after it had properly cleared, the FV was 996 so about 9.8% i got four bottles from the batch i made up. going to keep it until xmas before trying and to let it mature.

2014-10-02 18.27.59.jpg

Excellent, thanks. Just put a DJ of it on the side, so will add the tannin shortly.

Does this one need tanning adding?

If you want to make a decent wine you have to use tannin -

Tannin is a naturally occurring polyphenol found in plants, seeds, bark, wood, leaves and fruit skins. About 50% of the dry weight of plant leaves are tannins. As a characteristic of wine, tannin adds both bitterness and astringency as well as complexity. Wine tannins are most commonly found in red wine, although white wines have tannin from being aged in wooden barrels.

If you don't have powdered tannin make a mug of black tea (3 bags) and stir it every couple of minutes while you put the ingredients together.

Back