Camden tablets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vodkatart

Reaction score
New to brewing and seeking confirmation. I followed a blackberry and elderberry wine recipe from Andy Hamiltons booze for free book. It states to add all the ingredient together camden, yeast, nutrient etc in one go. However, I have then read that the camden should be left to work first before adding the yeast. Obviously I am now confused. Do I need to add more yeast as the camden tablets Killed the first lot or do I leave it to see what happens. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

I don't make real fruit wine just juice wines but found this that might be of help.

How to make Blackberry and Elderberry Wine

Remove the stems from the fruit and wash it thoroughly.
Mash the blackberries and elderberries in a clean plastic bucket with a clean potato masher and pour over 2 litres of boiling water. Mix Well.
Allow to cool to about 21deg C. and add a crushed campden tablet and stir well.
Add the pectolase and citric acid, stir well and then add the yeast a day later.
Cover the bucket and allow to ferment on the "pulp” for 4/5 days stirring daily.
Strain through a nylon bag or sieve on to 1.3 kilos of sugar. Stir well to dissolve the sugar and pour into a demijohn.
Add the red grape concentrate and make up to 4.5 litres with more water.
Give a final stir, fit an air lock and leave the vessel in a warm place about 20-22deg C until there are no more bubbles passing through the air lock.
Add another campden tablet and syphon (rack off) into another demijohn and refit air lock.
Gradually the wine will clear and after about 6 weeks it should be ready to syphon into green bottles.
It is best to leave for about 9 to 12 months or longer before drinking.
You will have a lovely wine to be proud of! It will have a deep, rich colour too.

Latest posts

Back