Small wine bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calluma11

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Last year I made various jams/jellies and gave them out to family and colleagues for presents. Because I was giving out so many I used small jars - to make it go around. Unfortunately the only ones people saved for me were the large ones so i had to go Morrisons and buy 200g fish paste jars (and THOROUGHLY clean :grin: ) ..this wasnt as cheap as I'd hoped

So this year I'm giving the same people wine.. and I have the same problem. I dont want to be giving out full bottles because:
a) I'll have drank most
b) I want to condition some
c) I've not (yet) made enough

My question is, where can I get 'smaller than normal' wine bottles for cheap / free? I'm going to ask local restaurants etc but just wanted to pitch the question here.

Sods law dictates my village wine bar gets paid to recycle their bottles - so arent interested in giving them away :/

The alternative is to go and buy multipacks of small water bottles, but this isnt as asthetically pleasing

As always thanks
Callum

I had a similar idea, I've got a Chocolate & Raspberry Port kit on the go at the moment and it only makes 15 bottles (no doubt less in reality) so I've decided to make it in half-sized wine bottles - both so that I can give some away without giving a whole bottle ;) and being a desert wine I can't imagine drinking a full bottle in one session.

I looked at the "buy something from the supermarket and re-use the bottle" option but couldn't find anything that made economic sense.

They seem to cost more than standard-sized wine bottles, and the cheapest option I could find was 39 bottles for £21 + £7 for delivery. They take normal sized corks so sound ideal for my purposes.

Haha it makes me laugh - one of the reasons we homebrew is the cost effectiveness.. then we go buying all the fancy stuff to present it in (does look 100 times better though)

At least the people i give it to are kind enough to save them and return to me

Callum

Haha it makes me laugh - one of the reasons we homebrew is the cost effectiveness.. then we go buying all the fancy stuff to present it in (does look 100 times better though)

At least the people i give it to are kind enough to save them and return to me

Callum

Haha I know what you mean! I've got loads of wine bottle foils as I usually get some whilst buying other stuff to save on postage, but whilst looking for labels yesterday I came across some "Cadburys purple" foils which I thought would be ideal for a choc port, so I had to order them ;)

I don't even want to think how much I've spent on equipment! Ah well it's all good fun :)

Latest posts

Back