Elderberry Wine High OG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garry35

Reaction score
hi,

I've gathered some elderberries and have been working around a recipe which called for 1.3kg berries plus the same of sugar.

I actually gathered around 1.8kg, but decided to try the same recipe stil for 1 DJ worth, just with extra berries for flavour/body/fun!
I’ve checked the OG and it’s off the scale of my hydrometer!

In hindsight I should have reduced the sugar to balance out the extra berries. My question is whether it would be more beneficial to split into two DJs worth by adding extra water, or would I then just create two thin tasting wines?

Of course one option would be to up the berries more with another forage…

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers

Garry

Hi Garry i think it all depends on what yeast you have used if its a high alcohol yeast you might be ok or if you don`t` mind sweet wine i would leave it as long as possible and keep taking a sample to see if you can handle the taste.
I have made an elderberry and used 4kg of berries to 1kg of sugar it is very red and dry i made an elderberry & apple at the same time using 2kg of berries 1kg sugar plus the sugar in the berries and apple juice (28p Ltr in Tesco) so i probably have the same sugar content as your wine, i will let it work its magic a bit longer ( i should of used hydrometer) and i think it will be ok, its all about experimenting and learning that's the fun of making country wines.

It's with a youngs bordeaux red yeast. I think you've highlighted the right question I needed to answer though. I would rather get two DJs worth than have a super sweet wine. So I'll go a foraging this weekend I think to top up the berries.

I have made Elderberry wine for the past 4 or 5 years, so want to continue in more that route than to get something sweeter.

That's what my experimental elder/blackberry port was for - which worked quite well, so will try it again this year.

Though we have an abundance of damsons so it might be part that too!

Latest posts

Back