Hello from Elswick Lancashire

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyc86

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to the forum, although brewing is quite popular in my family, I myself have only brewed beer kits before.

Moving into a new house recently I came across a huge amount of elderberries in the garden.

I would really like to make some sort of port/elderberry concoction. Nothing too complicated however, or too lengthy, but more than simply throwing fruit, port and sugar together. :doh:

Could anyone help please?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum Jonny.

I would really like to make some sort of port/elderberry concoction. Nothing too complicated however, or too lengthy, but more than simply throwing fruit, port and sugar together.

Could anyone help please?

2.2 litres elderberries

1.5 kg sugar

4.5 litres water

115g sultanas

1 tbsp wine yeast

1tbsp sugar

warm water

Strip the berries from the stalks and pour the water over.

Bring it to the boil and simmer for 15 mins.

Strain and discard the pulp.

Add the sugar & sultanas and stir to dissolve the sugar.

Leave it to cool to blood heat; mix the yeast, sugar & warm water and leave until frothy.

When the mix is cool and the yeast frothy, mix them together and leave for 24 hours.

Transfer it to a demijohn (including the sultanas) fit an airlock & ferment out, then bottle.

The recipe recommends keeping for a year before drinking.

Hi jonnyc86,

Welcome to the forum.

If I may be so bold as to add to 'The Grand Master's' recipe.... from my own experience in a past life, when stripping the elderberries from the stalks, it is an idea to wear gloves, like the surgical latex type you get in the 'Pound' shops, and old clothing as well, as elderberry juice is one of the most staining things that I have ever come across, unless you fancy purple fingers for a few weeks!

Latest posts

Back