Wine suddenly slowed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calluma11

Reaction score
Hi all :)

Just in the process of my first 'real fruit' wine - Blackberry to be specific.

These are the simplified instructions i followed.

Blackberries in the FV
Boiling water over top
Dissolve sugar
When cooled add campden tablet, pectolase and leave for 24 hrs
Add yeast nutrient and yeast
Leave for 6 days (stirring daily)
Transfer to demijohn

That's where i'm up to. It's been in the demijohn since Friday, so 4 days. When I first put it in the air lock was bubbling like crazy - literally as soon as i put it in. Now I've just timed it and it's 3mins 15secs in between bubbles.

I have kept it at 20C as per the instructions.

a) Is this normal? I've seen people say they've left it in for months
b) When would you consider it to have 'stopped' bubbling? (ie, time in between bubbles..i guess it could be hours)

I havent checked the gravity yet and I'm waiting for finings in the post any day - so it'll wait until then regardless.

Whilst i'm on it, i had a question 'brewing' up in my mind recently. When racking, can you add multiple finings? Like if i add it to this DJ, then when thats worked and i rack to another DJ can i eventually add more?

Cheers
Callum :-P

If you didn't add sugar when it went into the demijohn then it all sounds normal and the fermentation is likely done or close to. I am no expert but I think most fruit wine recipes you would add the sugar when you transfer it to the demijohn (I don't know why). The reason to leave it longer in the demijohn is to clear and you could leave it in there for a year or more as long as you make sure the water in the airlock does not dry up.

Aye the recipes I saw after I'd started it were along them lines - add the sugar in the DJ. I think i'll take a gravity reading, stabilise and sit to clear until Xmas day :thumb:

Latest posts

Back