Using spray malt...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AircooledAdam

Reaction score
I have always used just plain white sugar or brewing sugar to make my beer kits. I decided to pick up a medium spray malt to use in my wherry kit I'm putting together tonight. However I grabbed the bag in a hurry and now notice it's only 500g! Can I use 500g of sugar with it too? Or is it best to wait until tomorrow and just buy another bag?
Cheers. Adam.

If it's the 3kg 2 can Wherry, so known and loved on this forum, I would add 500g sugar and brew to the normal length or out to 25L. Wherry is essentially quite a light beer and is going to be a bit swamped if you add DME, I suggest. Adding sugar adds to ABV and does not IMO detract from it at all.

It's one can kits that need DME for mine and I would only add 1kg to a stout or a beer I was going to play around with adding hops etc.

You can mix and match Spray Malt and sugar, it usually calls for a direct swap i.e 500g of Spray Malt for 500g of sugar but theres nothing stopping you switching 500g of sugar for 250g Spray Malt & 250g of sugar, one thing you do need to be aware of though is malt does not ferment out 100% of its sugars only 75% I believe (I am sure someone will correct me if I have the figures incorrect).

If it's the 3kg 2 can Wherry, so known and loved on this forum, I would add 500g sugar and brew to the normal length or out to 25L. Wherry is essentially quite a light beer and is going to be a bit swamped if you add DME, I suggest. Adding sugar adds to ABV and does not IMO detract from it at all.

It's one can kits that need DME for mine and I would only add 1kg to a stout or a beer I was going to play around with adding hops etc.

Ok that's great, cheers for the advice, looks like I will stick to the sugar! It came out really good last time with sugar, no idea why I decided to pick up the malt.

You can mix and match Spray Malt and sugar, it usually calls for a direct swap i.e 500g of Spray Malt for 500g of sugar but theres nothing stopping you switching 500g of sugar for 250g Spray Malt & 250g of sugar, one thing you do need to be aware of though is malt does not ferment out 100% of its sugars only 75% I believe (I am sure someone will correct me if I have the figures incorrect).

So when you say it doesn't ferment all it's sugars, does that mean the abv will be lower and it will taste sweeter? I don't understand this malt malarkey at all, I have always used just sugar!

So when you say it doesn't ferment all it's sugars, does that mean the abv will be lower and it will taste sweeter? I don't understand this malt malarkey at all, I have always used just sugar!

The ABV will be lower, but it should not taste sweeter, the sugars that don't ferment out increase what some call mouth feel (the thickness/body) etc.

What does the kit call for?

The ABV will be lower, but it should not taste sweeter, the sugars that don't ferment out increase what some call mouth feel (the thickness/body) etc.

What does the kit call for?

I must of been getting mixed up, the wherry doesn't need anything. It's a John Bull English ale kit I've got that's asking for 1kg of sugar.

I must of been getting mixed up, the wherry doesn't need anything. It's a John Bull English ale kit I've got that's asking for 1kg of sugar.

Fair enough, Adam.

I'd definitely get 500g DME and 700g sugar on the job. That will work very well. If you have a Wilko store nearby, you can pick up 500g DME for £3.30 and this will add more than 10p a pint's worth to the outcome for sure. :thumb:

Fair enough, Adam.

I'd definitely get 500g DME and 700g sugar on the job. That will work very well. If you have a Wilko store nearby, you can pick up 500g DME for £3.30 and this will add more than 10p a pint's worth to the outcome for sure. :thumb:

Awesome cheers. Yeah that's the stuff I picked up. Will get it brewing this weekend :)

Back