Low carbonation in my Barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi there
Brewed 40 pints of Tom Caxton Lager on 29th May (over 3 months ago).#I used 1kg brewing sugar + 50z Demerara Sugar to give an OG of 1040.
I kegged it on 23rd June (25 days) with a FG of 1006 which calculates out at 4.5%. I batch primed with 50z (142g) Tate & Lyle Sugar.
I kegged it into a White Wilko plastic Pressure barrel and have let condition ever since.
When pouring the beer is very active, plenty of life and head during the pour.
But disappointingly when drinking it lacks any real fizz that I would expect from a Lager.
I don't think there would be any point in trying to add 8oz CO2 via the bulb as the last time I tried it the barrel just pushed it straight back out suggesting that there was already sufficient pressure within the barrel.
Any suggestions, observations, opinions and advice will all be greatly appreciated.

Hi Mancer,I haven't brewed any of the Tom Caxton kits but I guess you could try the obvious of swapping the dextrose for dried spray-malt,adding maltodextrin,say 200g or brewing a little short ?
Any of these small steps should improve your brew slightly.
Cheers

How did your Wherry turn out Mancer ?
I used to follow the instructions to the letter then started tweaking things a little to suit each brew.
If it's a low abv brew I add a little more fermentables at the start,spraymalt if I can afford it dextrose if not,the yeast still seem to be able to munch through it !
I am brewing a Wilkos Real Ale with half a tin of syrup and a few hundred grams of dextrose added,OG was 1054 and it's now down to 1014 so the 6g of yeast are doing their thing.
If I'm being honest,after about 10 or so brews I stopped expecting amazing beers if I made 40pints from 1 can,as in life,you get what you pay for.
Spend a little more on better kits and get better beer or brew a little shorter and get better beer,only less of it,Cheers bud.

Latest posts

Back