Wilko's Golden Ale Low ABV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi there brewed a batch of Wilkos Golden Ale on the 11th Aug (22 days ago) with an OG of around 1037 it has now stopped at 1012 which I believe would give me an ABV of a very disappointing 3.3%. Last week I swirled the bucket around incase of a stuck fermentation but seems to have made no difference to the FG whatsoever. Is this a normal ABV for this beer as I was expecting somewhere around 4% any suggestions, opinions etc will be greatly appreciated ty.

Get it bottled/kegged! You'll be drinking it quicker!

1037 sounds quite low as a starting gravity to be honest. Did you stir in the original ingredient thoroughly?

Not all hydrometers are 100% accurate either.

There's not much point pitching additional yeast now at this stage to try to get to, what, 1010? You did the right thing by trying stirring - hopefully with a sanitised spoon and no splashing?

Make sure all ingredients are mixed thoroughly, try to keep the temperature pretty constant in the middle of the target range for the yeast to give it the best chance, and take your gravity readings carefully. Use the best supplementary ingredients too if using a 'one can' kit.

I've given up on 1.5kg kits. I only do 3kg plus malt extract kits these days.

I bought a batch of these while they where on offer the first one I did with 500g of brewing sugar (dextrose) the hydrometer readings where all over the place (hydrometer was a new one after old rolled off the work surface after cleaning, doh) on washing the new hydrometer in hot water I noticed it bubbling (tiny invisible pin hole in the top of the hydrometer) so can't comment on SG's or FG's.

I bottled it & from apx 2 weeks it tasted good.

The wilko kits i've done you make with 1kg sugar, this would explain your low sg.
Sg on these kits usually around 1044.

The wilko kits i've done you make with 1kg sugar, this would explain your low sg.
Sg on these kits usually around 1044.

Am I not correct in thinking that with the two can kits you don't have to add anything?:cheers:'t

Am I not correct in thinking that with the two can kits you don't have to add anything?:cheers:'t

Yes you are correct in that is what is says on the box that made you buy it. I add 500g table sugar to a 2 can kit and usually brew to 25L. the 2 can Wilko kits, including Wherry turn out great on this methodology but only after a few weeks.

I do these to 25L because after racking it, you get 12x2L PET bottles worth and this fits neatly in a folding laundry crate. All nice and neat.

Wherry often seems to stick a bit and my Golden Ale tastes very similar, it must be said. Also hydrometer readings are a bit variable as well, so just bottle is my advice as well.

I would say temperature adjusted, the OG was prob a bit higher. If you're 1012 is constant over a few days, then bottle it. The priming sugar will add a bit more % abv too and you'll probably find it's a bit stronger that the OG/FG are suggesting. I've just done a Golden Ale add boosted it will 500kg of enhancer (plus a hop tea) so the OG was 1045 but the FG was also 1012 so seems normal.

I started last Thursday . 1kg sugar plus 907g golden syrup .starting gravity 1074 tested last night 1034
Will hop at the weekend . Expected abv 8% ish . Keg for Christmas . :p

Latest posts

Back