Simple cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheagavara

Reaction score
Hi, hope someone can point me in the right direction. I'm trying to find a simple cider using carton apple juice but can't seem to find it....think they call it turbo cider. Any link would be usefull

I have made it this way:
23l apple juice from asda in FV add 1 sachet cider yeast 2 weeks later put in keg with 100g sugar 1 week later ready to drink. It was very good considering the simplicity. It came out around 5% ABV.

I have made it this way:
23l apple juice from asda in FV add 1 sachet cider yeast 2 weeks later put in keg with 100g sugar 1 week later ready to drink. It was very good considering the simplicity. It came out around 5% ABV.

That sounds very simple. What about using a wine yeast? Any suggestion to amount of sugar to get a stronger dry cider, something around 8.5 % ?

That sounds very simple. What about using a wine yeast? Any suggestion to amount of sugar to get a stronger dry cider, something around 8.5 % ?

650g will give you 8.5 %.

a7777777777.png

A wine yeast will certainly work the only issue is I think (I have no experience of this) that if you want it sparkling a wine yeast may not be alive enough by the time you do the secondary fermentation. Mine came out very dry anyway. I think if you use the above calculation you need to add in the sugar in the juice (shown on carton) before you add any and you can get a more pricise idea by using a hydrometer.

Wow thanks folk. This is my first attempt apart from a red wine kit that included everything including plastic Demi Jon. I will give this ago. Can I use juice from concentrate ?
Thanks again for the replies and advice

Can I use juice from concentrate to make cider?

Yes.. supermarket "from concentrate" apple juice is fine. But I would strongly recommend the following:
  • Add tannin (strong tea or tannin powder)
  • Add acid (lemon juice or citric/malic acid)
  • Do not add sugar
  • Use cider yeast (or a champagne yeast)

See the many turbo cider threads for details of how much to add. Without the tannin and acid the cider will lack the bite/sharpness most people expect from cider. Adding sugar dilutes flavour. Making your cider stronger won't make it better - unless all you're aiming for is to get p'd as quickly as possible.

Back