strawberry, habanero, madame jeanet mead take 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lampie

Reaction score
the first attempt did not go very well i made a little mistake when making up the recipe so here is take 2 :)

recipe:

2 kg strawberries
1.8 kg honey
1 habanero
1 madame jeanet
1 tsp citric acid
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectine

Cleaned and cut up the strawberries and put them in a big pot

IMG_20140815_151503.jpg

added a cup of water and slowly warmed and mashed all the strawberries

IMG_20140815_151748.jpg

then cut up half the chilies (with rubber gloves) and added them to my strawberry mash

IMG_20140815_152011.jpg

added the honey to the strawberry mash stirred all the honey in the strawberries and then it was time to put it in the dj. The mash was a bit thick so had to use a chopstick to get it all trough.

IMG_20140815_153425_BURST001_COVER.jpg

put in the yeast, citric acid, yeast nutrient and mead yeast into the bottle. I did not have any pectine at home so have put an order in for that, i dont have a brewshop nearby so had to order this online. Kept a lot of headspace before I have my pectine. There is still a lot of fruit in there that will try and leave the bottle somehow.

Here the bottle is in a big pot in case of a strawberry vulcano :). cleaning some beerbottles too in the background :P
IMG_20140815_154549.jpg

this is after three days

IMG_20140818_190133.jpg

This brew is going for some weeks and my own pc is back for repairs so cant upload any new pictures.

left this to brew for 3 weeks and strained off all the left over strawbery pulp and racked it for the first time. Had a little taste and it was amazing, its a very sweet strawberry flavor and there and when swallowing there is a little bit of heat its just a little surprise :electric: at the end :)..

Excellent recipe and guide. :thumb:

Edit to add -

This is my first wine thats of my own design.. I got the inspiration from a bucket of icecream I had a while ago.. So i thought why not make a mead out of it...

Excellent recipe and guide.

If it turns out OK :lol:

Excellent recipe and guide. :thumb:

tnx :)

This is my first wine thats of my own design.. I got the inspiration from a bucket of icecream I had a while ago.. So i thought why not make a mead out of it...

It realy needs some sweetness to balance the chilies I used.

a normal red/green chili has a rating of 600/800 and the habanero and madame jeanet have a rating of 300.000+ rating on the scovillescale..

When cutting these chillies be carefull they can cause a sort of chemical burn on your skin and they realy hurt when eating..

I always use rubber gloves when cutting them!

But there is a lot of sweetnes of the strawberry and the honey so this balances out most of the heat of the chili.. But it still has a little kick to it..

Also thought of a name and it will be Brians strawberry surprise..
the surprise in this wine is ofcourse the heat in the wine :)

Oh and save the seeds of the chilies to plant them at home :-).. just plant them in December/January inside and move them outside when possible :-)

Latest posts

Back