Corney keg or stick with plastic keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott33b

Reaction score
Hi folks. Just looking for some opinions. Thinking of upgrading to a corney keg and beer engine. Currently have 4 plastic kegs.
Is it better with a corney and force carbonating or should I stick with the barrels and priming?

:cheers:

I now have 5 cornies and I would never go back to the plastic kegs. They are great and also I think the beer tastes better :grin:

Morning Neddy. Do you force carbonated with a co2 cylinder and hand pump for pouring etc?
If this is the case, is it quicker to brew to drink? No need to wait for sugar to carbonate?
:hmm:

Corney, absolutely no question.

All grain, ferment, settle, corney, drink <repeat>

I went from bottling to corney, I have two corneys, best decision i ever made.

I'm still on my first bottle of co2, 24months or so in.

Corney fits in the fridge, both of them do if i jiggle them about.

No brainer.

:electric:

Yeah I have a chest freezer with 4 cornies and 4 taps. My bottle lasted me afew years also. I tend to carbonate the beer for a week at set psi eg 20 for an ale and 30 for lager/cider. Take off gas and leave for few days to settle and then drink when u want. The longer its left the better the taste but generally clear after the week but I do tend to ferment the brew then transfer for a week to clear before kegging. I do find this process helps alot

Cornys are great BUT are only the storage aspect of a dispensing system.
Sounds like you have your gas an pump planned ok, but to get the best from the system you may want to consider how your going to maintain a steady temperature for the kegs as without a steady storage temp while serving the level of condition in natural equilibrium with the serving pressure and temperature will fluctuate generally resulting in a foamy pour,

a keg fridge or kegorator is a good solution,(basically the same/similar build as a fermenting fridge) i use a cool spot insulation and a shelf chiller in spring/summer which is nominally more work, generally a quick vent of the keg served from is all thats needed to normalise the serving pressure.

but without temp control of some sort cornys can be a real pita, took me a few months to sort out mine as i bought a brew uk delux corny kit believing it was all i needed .. HA!

I think it's better to have a try the stainless steel keg.It is more convient and can store the original taste.

Latest posts

Back