Last dusty bits of hops.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyg

Reaction score
I was wondering if I'm getting as much aa extraction from the last dusty bits of hops in my 100g vacuum packed bags as I would from good sized cones.

I'm doing a porter that calls for 22g of challenger at 90 mins. I was scraping the last bits out of the bag and had 20g of challenger which the majority was flaky leaves and dust. Not a great deal of cones. I topped it up with 4g of progress just on the safe side.

Would the flaky leafy non coney hops give the same bitterness you reckon.

I'm tempted to throw 10g of something in soon. Currently 40 mins into a 90 min boil It's an all grain batch.

I suspect, but don't know, that you will get bittering from the parts that may be a bit light on flavour and aroma, so you may be OK.

Besides, it's a bit late now to chuck in another 10g of anything,

Ar you happy with how it's turing out?

Well I didn't add anything else in the end, thought I'd leave it. The brew went well apart from breaking a glass thermometer. Tasted it before pitching and it was pretty good even straight from the kettle. Quite looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Still wondering if whole cones are better than floor scrapings.

Latest posts

Back