Cooper's FV tap question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tefkab

Reaction score
Hi All

I've just finished my first home brew and I'm bottling, but I've hit upon a question. I'm using the FV that comes with the Cooper's kit. Obviously, the tap is at the bottom but there's still 2 inches of beer left below the tap. I've just tipped the back up and supported it, and I'll let it settle before bottling again. What's the best way of getting the last bit out of the FV without it becoming too messed up with the sediment?

Thanks.

I think you did exactly what needed to be done. I have the same vessel and did the same on my first batch. If you are careful enough you won't disturb the sediment at all.I wouldn't leave it too long to settle as there isn't much co2 left in the bucket so you should bottle as quickly as possible to avoid the air getting to it and spoiling your precious beer. I also use coopers FV for batch priming and bottling beer that was fermented in another vessel, just dilute the priming sugar and syphon the beer to it and use the wand that came with the kit to bottle my other beer too.(done it twice so far, last time this morning when I batch primed and bottled my Pale Ale)
RR

When you get the beer level down towards the tap, lean the FV forwards and stick a dictionary or some other fat book under the rear feet. You can gently increase the angle right at the end as well and just rock it back when the sediment starts coming through the tap.

When you get the beer level down towards the tap, lean the FV forwards and stick a dictionary or some other fat book under the rear feet. You can gently increase the angle right at the end as well and just rock it back when the sediment starts coming through the tap.

Thanks guys, I did exactly that and I don't think too much has gone in. I sacrificed the last bottle or two and tipped it away. So now I just have to wait!!

Thanks guys, I did exactly that and I don't think too much has gone in. I sacrificed the last bottle or two and tipped it away. So now I just have to wait!!

You can just pour the last litre or so into a lemonade bottle using a funnel. This will be good for cooking - pot roasting a beef joint like brisket once it's settled and you can pour the liquid off most of the sediment.

Back