Campden Tablets and Cork Tips?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meaniemiller

Reaction score
Hello,
I've made a version of an apple juice wine. It's cleared perfectly after racking off. Question! Do I need to add a campden tablet? If so, how long til I can then bottle and drink? Or wine finings? (It's pretty clear).

Also I've been having bother with my corks. I've been soaking for ten minutes in milton then getting my husband to put them in the bottles. My last two batches, when I have come to open the wine, the cork has disintergrated and had to take it out of the bottle bit by bit with all bits of cork stuck to the side! What am I doing wrong.

Thanks for your help,

:thumb:

Hi Meaniemiller,
Is it neat Milton you are soaking them in? I usually soak in warm water for a couple of hours then rinse in Campden tablet and citric acid solution, as per CJJ Berry, not soak them in steriliser, maybe the MIlton is degrading the corks, perhaps one of the Forum Sages can enlighten both of us.
Just occurred to me, how are you storing your bottles upright or laid down? Cork need to be kept in contact with liquid.

Thanks, no being storing upright....doh!!! Maybe should just soak in water for longer then.....?

I think longer soaking would help getting the corks in, either in cold water overnight or warm water for a couple of hours, but remember to rinse them in steriliser, I've never used Milton so I don't know what it should be diluted by, using it undiluted doesn't sound right to me.

You do need to store corked bottles laid down on their sides so the corks stay moist, It sounds like the corks are drying out and breaking up when you try and uncork the bottle, there is a risk of off flavours with dried out corks as well.

Latest posts

Back