First brew - wherry - newbie questions!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_L

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new around here (and to homebrewing)

I've had an inclination to give homebrewing a go for a while but only recently got a load of equipment on ebay- which included a woodforde's wherry kit.

I'm pretty happy with my process on brew day although I'm going to have to invest in a proper 5 gallon FV with airlock- I'm reasonably confident that my improvised version didn't let any air in, but I'm not quite so sure about it's durability...

Anyway, the main reason I'm asking for advice is this- I live in a really warm house. I actually live in Sheffield in the UK, not a massively warm climate, but our area has "district heating"- there's basically a communal boiler which services all the houses. The downside of this, is that even if your heating isn't on, the pipes in the walls are still hot, and the house is always warm. My FV is sitting next to a very slightly open window- which no doubt sounds a really bad idea, but the reason for this was that after keeping a thermometer in the area for a few days, the temperature seemed to be consistently between 20-23 degrees C.

The Brew seems to have gone fine- yesterday the hydrometer read about 1016, and today the yeast seems to have calmed down a lot (this is day 5)

After the hydrometer readings confirm the fermentation has stopped, should I wait a few days before I bottle/keg anyway? I read on a thread that some people do this so the the yeast can "clear up it's mess"

Also, after this, I'm aware that the bottles/keg should be stored in a "warm" place for a few days and then a "cold" place after that - how "warm" is warm, how "cold" is cold, and how important are each for this type of brew? There are lots of consistently warm places in this house, but no cold ones. The only other option is the shed- will this do as the "cold" place or does the temperature need to be fairly constant at this stage?

Apologies for the long winded post!

Some have waited months (not intentionally, I might add) before kegging/bottling and the beer has come out drinkable! It's a very forgiving process so it's down to personal preference really! The yeast does have chance to process some additional chemicals if it sits on 'the trub' (yeasty layer at bottom of vessel) a while. It also makes the beer clear quicker in bottles/kegs as there is less yeast suspended in the beer - more has sunk to the bottom.

If you bottle it earlier, you will have more yeast in suspension, and it may take longer to settle and you'll have a thicker layer when opening. The beer may carbonate more easily though.

Two weeks in warm (same temperature as you fermented at is fine, as it is essentially the same process, just under pressure!). Longer in the cool (if you can resist that long! :wink:) as the cool helps the yeast to fall to the bottom and the beer to condition. Garage in autumn/winter/spring is usually fine, or fridge in summer.

Forget an airlock! Just get a vessel with a plain plastic lid and don't fully click the lid shut to let the CO2 escape. The only sure fire way to know fermentation has finished is gravity readings. None of my airlocks bubble as none of my lids are properly airtight - waste of bloody time they are!

I've had an inclination to give homebrewing a go for a while but only recently got a load of equipment on ebay- which included a woodforde's wherry kit.

I'm pretty happy with my process on brew day although I'm going to have to invest in a proper 5 gallon FV with airlock- I'm reasonably confident that my improvised version didn't let any air in, but I'm not quite so sure about it's durability...

Anyway, the main reason I'm asking for advice is this- I live in a really warm house. I actually live in Sheffield in the UK, not a massively warm climate, but our area has "district heating"- there's basically a communal boiler which services all the houses. The downside of this, is that even if your heating isn't on, the pipes in the walls are still hot, and the house is always warm. My FV is sitting next to a very slightly open window- which no doubt sounds a really bad idea, but the reason for this was that after keeping a thermometer in the area for a few days, the temperature seemed to be consistently between 20-23 degrees C.

The Brew seems to have gone fine- yesterday the hydrometer read about 1016, and today the yeast seems to have calmed down a lot (this is day 5)

After the hydrometer readings confirm the fermentation has stopped, should I wait a few days before I bottle/keg anyway? I read on a thread that some people do this so the the yeast can "clear up it's mess"

Also, after this, I'm aware that the bottles/keg should be stored in a "warm" place for a few days and then a "cold" place after that - how "warm" is warm, how "cold" is cold, and how important are each for this type of brew? There are lots of consistently warm places in this house, but no cold ones. The only other option is the shed- will this do as the "cold" place or does the temperature need to be fairly constant at this stage?

Hi - welcome to homebrewing. In answer to your questions:

Leave your first brew 2 weeks at least and bottle it when you get the same FG reading 3 days running. If your FV is airtight, no harm should come to it. "Clearing up the mess" is a good explanation of the yeast brewing cycle and remembering it this way will do your beer no harm at all.

Warm for bottle conditioning is room temperature.

The shed sounds good for stopring after that - especially now that the weather is cooler and there is less liklihood of overheating in the sun.

Hi Dan_L

I'm in the same sort of boat as you having started this new hobby on Friday and I'm too trying out the Woodforde's Wherry kit. As well as looking forward to the result I'm nervous too!

Welcome along, am just down the road in Rotherham.

Some good advice already given.

A rough guide:

Ferment for 2weeks (14days), even if there's no bubbles through the airlock - this is the Primary Fermenter.
If you have another vessel (the same size or bigger than the Primary), syphon off from the Primary, and then leave for a week (7days) for the yeast to settle,
Bottle or keg.

For bottling, put your priming sugar in each bottle, or better still into a bottling bucket (you could use the Primary if it's empty) so you can mix it into the brew more evenly.
Put the bottles in a warm place as described, this will allow the yeast left in the brew to ferment and create the fizz.
Put the bottles in a cool place, to let the yeast drop, and leave the beer clear - at least one clear bottle is a good idea so you can see how it is clearing.
Leave it about 6weeks before trying.

I've not got pressure barrels, I use Corney's, but there's load of advice for barrels on here.

Forget an airlock! Just get a vessel with a plain plastic lid and don't fully click the lid shut to let the CO2 escape. The only sure fire way to know fermentation has finished is gravity readings. None of my airlocks bubble as none of my lids are properly airtight - waste of bloody time they are!

I think it depends on your preference, I always used closed fermenters with a 4inch lid.

I have a 60litre bucket that doesn't seal well, just run some vaseline around the inside of the lid, it still bubbles.

I also think there are environmental considerations, my brewing takes place in my garage, where there are airborne contaminants, hence the closed fermenter preference.

:drunk:

Latest posts

Back