Wilkos best bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjamin

Reaction score
Hello all got a best bitter Wilkos own any tips I've looked at instructions do I put yeast in at 19-24 degrees when mixing or leave it 4-6 days then put in yeast . Instructions not clear

Get the wort to the required temp and sprinkle on the yeast, there shouldn't be any need to mix it in. Close the lid and leave at room temp. It might take about 24hrs to get airlock activity.

Good luck! :cheers:

Is it wilkos, didn't think they did own brand best bitter?
But as said pitch yeast after mixing wort up, I usually leave a few minutes after sprinkling over the top then give a gentle stir. Fit lid then leave for 2 weeks before bottling/cask.;)

There is a Best Bitter Wilko kit alright as well as "real" and "golden". Blue tones on the box?

All good and on offer and the advice is spot on.

Pitch yeast and leave for 14 days. "Double all times on the instuctions" is a good rule of thumb, and ask on here if you are unsure.

Thats the only beer kit I ever made before going all grain, its not bad at all (not amazing or anything). I replaced half the sugar with honey but I have no idea if it made much difference, there was certainly no honey flavour at the end.

just incase you don't know, if you have the type of fermentation vessel with a solid plastic lid (no hole for a bubbler) when you put the lid on after adding yeast don't click it on tight all the way around, just in one place to stop it been nocked off and leave the rest of the lid loose just resting on top.

I understand that yeast needs oxygen to multiply after pitching so I stir my wort vigorously, entraining as much air as I can, for five minutes having sprinkled the yeast.

My local micro brewery use an aquarium air pump to aerate its F. Vs in the early stage of fermentation - a step too far for a mere amateur, stirring works for me.

I just pour in the cold water from a fair height, don't bother with splashing after that. Yeast goes in last. Usually give that a "fold in" with the spoon.

Works OK

Yes, I also used to pour the water from a great height but after one or two accidents, missing the narrow neck (circa 4" diameter) of the F V, and subsequent rollickings from t'other half for flooding the kitchen floor, I found that the stirring method led to less domestic tension.

Using a bucket type F V rather than a screw-topped wine fermenter would obviate the problem, of course.

I should add that the unsteadiness of hand is down to advancing years and not the effect of imbibing previous brews - honest!

Hello all going to do this brew this week (I hope) if I add extra sugar will this help with a bit more alcohol vol ? Or don't put as much water in , can anyone help ?

Hello all going to do this brew this week (I hope) if I add extra sugar will this help with a bit more alcohol vol ? Or don't put as much water in , can anyone help ?

Either should get you more alcohol, I would air on brewing short, or/and adding malt (DME) rather than adding sugar. Only my advice others may offer something different (sugar gives very little except alcohol).

How much malt should I add ? Thanks for advise

As a rule of thumb substitute like for like (malt won't give quite the same alcohol % so you could go more) do you have a target % I could perhaps then offer some guidance?

You also need to bear in mind if you add too much malt you will alter the balance and may need more hops.

The kit is 4% abv just want to get a bit more vol from it (I like stronger tastin beers ) , the kit only cost £3.50 so might add 500g malt and 500g sugar just to experiment a little see how it comes out , I going to do this Sunday morning so anyone want to give me dos and donts before they will be welcome thanks for previous advise smiley

The kit is 4% abv just want to get a bit more vol from it (I like stronger tastin beers ) , the kit only cost £3.50 so might add 500g malt and 500g sugar just to experiment a little see how it comes out , I going to do this Sunday morning so anyone want to give me dos and donts before they will be welcome thanks for previous advise smiley

Based on my rough calculations brewing it to 22ltrs would give you apx 6.1%abv whilst brewing to 20ltrs give you 6.7%abv, I would not expect either of those should overly upset the balance of the kit, good luck.

You will also need to add apx 0.2%apx for priming.

Might be worth taking hydro readings to satisfy yourself.

Thanks , I've got a 2.5m medicine spoon that I put brewing sugar in bottles is that enough sugar ?

I've brewed today with 500g of sugar and 500g of malt , got a reading of around 1050 on hydrometer smelt lovely when brewing . I've got a good feeling about this one thanks smiley again for your advise

I am not sure 2.5ml per bottle will be enough (depends on the size of the bottles), I tend to batch prime, i.e. syphon off the trub & then add the required priming sugar (dissolved stir in a just enough water) to the syphoned bucket and give a good stir before filling the bottles.

This is also a good thread there is also this Beer Priming Calculator I have used in the past to match priming to beer styles.

The bottles are 500 pet plastic , I've been putting sugar in first before putting beer in the bottle

Latest posts

Back