Hops Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noah

Amateur Beer Taster
Reaction score
I'm on my 12th beer kit and my question is about hops - would you suggest dried hops for late hopping or hop pellets? I've been sorely disappointed with the Evil Dog IPAs so far and I'm now trying my own variation of the Wilko's Golden Ale and plan to late hop for an American IPA type style.

I have some of these lined up, I plan to get the hops in the boil early (Centennial and Cascade 7.5gr each) @ 10 and 20 min remaining, any of the "C" hops should give you that American IPA style though you may need extra fermentables to get the strength.

Thanks for your reply, I'm using 3 x 1.5Kg cans to 30 litres to get the fermentables up.

I read on another thread about wild hops and whether they would be any good for homebrew & one reply suggested posting a pic to see if they could be identified.

These are growing profusely in my garden at the moment and could save me a small fortune if they're useable. There's not as much aroma as in other years though. Anyone know what they might be?

Hops.jpg

Looks like Goldings (EKG)
See here:
Code:
http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/hop-of-the-week-east-kent-golding/

I'm on my 12th beer kit and my question is about hops - would you suggest dried hops for late hopping or hop pellets? I've been sorely disappointed with the Evil Dog IPAs so far and I'm now trying my own variation of the Wilko's Golden Ale and plan to late hop for an American IPA type style.

There are a number of American "C" hops like Cascade that will work well with this approach. IMO the Golden Ale kit (drinking tonight on my 56th birthday) will be very good for this experiment. Solid enough bittering to take a lot of flavour and aroma hopping.

These are growing profusely in my garden at the moment and could save me a small fortune if they're useable. There's not as much aroma as in other years though. Anyone know what they might be?

Nice picture, wish I had those growing wild in my garden.

Thanks folks, I think I'll add 2-300 grams of green hops to 15 litres and see how it turns out.

Happy birthday Slid, you youngsters certainly know how to have a good time. :drink:

There are a number of American "C" hops like Cascade that will work well with this approach. IMO the Golden Ale kit (drinking tonight on my 56th birthday) will be very good for this experiment. Solid enough bittering to take a lot of flavour and aroma hopping.

Happy belated birthday mate :party:
Hope you had one for me :hat:

Nice picture, wish I had those growing wild in my garden.

Me too

I have always dry hopped with dry hops, never bought the pellets so I cant comment on how good (or bad) they are.

be careful about over dry hopping though as it can lend itself to grass flavours in your final beer.

I read somewhere pellets are better for dry hopping as extraction is much better but I have never used pellets myself.

I've cropped most of the hops growing in my garden and I was going to add 400 grams to the 30 litres of Golden Ale but I bottled it. :whistle:

Not all of it, just a few litres just in case it doesn't work out well. Here are a couple of shots of said hops.

hops1.jpg

hops2.jpg

Don't they just look so - beautiful, and just like their mam / dad.

Like the babies that ladies coo over. :D

Back