• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wine and Beer items needed please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herringgull1

Reaction score
Has anyone in the durham area got any cheep items going suitable for a lady novice just starting out please? i need demijohns, airlocks, bucket ect anything to get me started in the hobby would be lovely.

Welcome to the forum.

If you don't get any offers you can make your own Demijohns out of spring water bottles, you need to drill a 9mm hole in the lid to accept an airlock, the airlocks can be bought at Wilko £1.73 for two (see picture below)

41BH07V%2B-6L.jpg

a55555555555.jpg

Great idea! ive had no replys yet so im going to give it a go. Do i need to seal round the holes after fitting the airlocks at all? thankyou for your advise

I am not sure, when I made mine I used a 28mm woodwork drill bit so i could use the rubber bung supplied, other members have used the 9mm drill so I guess it's fine.

Great idea! ive had no replys yet so im going to give it a go. Do i need to seal round the holes after fitting the airlocks at all? thankyou for your advise

If you use the 9mm drill, you will need a grommet, which is what I use on all my homemade DJs. Link below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airlock-G...pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item2595904a2d

Also, bear in mind that the PET bottles don't take well to hot water, so don't pour hot liquids directly into them.

If you are looking for other kit, you'd be surprised what comes up on eBay from time to time, so well worth looking.

FatCol

Well its a good job you mentioned the hot liquid lol yep, im blonde! thanks col for the input, will have to pop into houghton soon as wilko havent much stock left. managed to grab my airlocks ect and have some elder brewing away!

Latest posts

Back